Job

Ask a career counselor for answers ASAP

I have a salary negotiation taking place tomorrow. I have 9…

Customer Question
I have a salary negotiation...
I have a salary negotiation taking place tomorrow. I have 9 years of transferable skills for the position. I have made it through 3 rounds of interviews. They made me fill out a job app with asked for my previous salary which I answered. Since that last employment I have earned my BS degree and an AAS degree in the field which I have decided to change careers to. They listed a salary range of Min. 43,771 to Mid. 54,714. I was told in my last interview that HR is expecting me to negotiate. I wanted to to start at 52K am I reaching to high?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Job
The job is with a government agency.
6/14/2015
Career Counselor: Teacher Editor, Instructor replied 2 years ago
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor
Hello and welcome!
I think you have enough experience and credentials to warrant the higher end of the position range. In addition, as HR is expecting you to negotiate, they are expecting you to ask what you are worth. As you are going for the higher end of the range, even if HR goes a little lower, you are leaving room to get substantially more than the minimum and that is where you need to be.
Please let me know if you need any other information or please leave positive feedback.
Please leave positive feedback.
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Instructor