Job

Ask a Career Counselor for Answers ASAP

Job

I had worked for a Government contractor a couple of years

ago. We were awarded the...
I had worked for a Government contractor a couple of years ago. We were awarded the contract in Oct 2008 and that was when I was interviewed and My name as well as the other supervisors names were on the Scope of Work agreement ,but we the company did not actually start physically working until Mar 2009. My question is when is my actual start date of employment Oct 2008 or Mar 2009 ?
8/3/2013
LawTalk, Lawyer

Good afternoon Tom,

I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

Under the circumstances that you describe, while you may not have begun receiving pay, or actually doing the work for the employer, your start date of employment would have been when you were initially hired and your name was reported as an employee who would be performing the contract on behalf of the contractor.

The start date would have been October, 2008.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Tom. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.

When potential employers do back ground checks do they just verify that you worked for a company or do they also look at the time you spent with a company ?

Good evening Tom,

The standard is to ask about dates of employment and whether the employee is eligible for re-employment with the employer.

It is almost a given that dates of employment will be asked for---to verify what you tell the prospective employer.

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer