Job

Ask a career counselor for answers ASAP

What is the qualification for getting a job offer from NASA What…

Customer Question
What is the qualification for...
What is the qualification for getting a job offer from NASA?
What does NASA do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Job
6/20/2010
Career Counselor: MJ, Executive replied 8 years ago
MJ
MJ, Executive
Hello and thank you for your questions.

Question: What does NASA do:
Answer: NASA's mission is to search for the answers to questions such as "What is in space?", "How can we get into space and research it, and what will we find and learn there?"

To that end, NASA employs thousands of people all over the world. A small number are astronauts, but many more are medical doctors, microbiologists, geologists, physicists, electrical engineers, computer programmers, personnel specialists, accountants, writers, maintenance workers, food service workers, and all sorts of other things.

Question: What is the qualification for getting a job offer from NASA?
Answer: There are so many different jobs at NASA that there is no single qualification that fits all of them. If your question is mainly about how to obtain a technical position, the answer is usually that you will need an advanced degree (masters or beyond) in that field, and usually an all-around academic background with a heavy emphasis on mathematics and science.
But it depends on the position. Of course the qualifications for maintenance worker differ quite a bit from the qualifications for accountant or personnel specialist or electrical engineer.

In order to work for NASA it is usually required that you pass some stringent background checks, have no criminal history, and have very strong references. This is the case with virtually all positions - but this is just about the only requirement that all positions have in common.
For some positions a military background is preferred.

Here is a link to NASA's Jobs site: http://nasajobs.nasa.gov/
Be sure to read the "Frequently Asked Questions" section, the "Working for NASA" section, and any sections related to the particular positions in which you might be interested.
Note that in addition to full time employment, NASA has opportunities for student internships, cooperatives, and summer placements.

I hope this information is helpful and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.

Edited by MJ on 6/20/2010 at 7:51 PM EST