How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Retired
Category: Job
Satisfied Customers: 29786
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Employment Relations
Type Your Job Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the best cad technician qualifications and ...

Resolved Question:

What are the best cad technician qualifications and training to get ahead?
I'm looking for jobs and have a cad technician certificate with an internship in 3d piping design, I also have an AA degree in general studies. What extra training or schooling could I do to give myself an extra boost for the cad tech job market. Stuff like GIS/GPS. But I'm only willing to go up to a year or two more of school.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Job
Expert:  Lev replied 9 years ago.

Generally employers look for following qualifications in your field:
-- you may be able to become a CAD technician by starting as a trainee with an engineering or construction firm.
-- you may need some GCSEs (A-C), such as maths, science, engineering, design and technology, etc - but enthusiasm for the industry is often more important than qualifications.
-- also 1-2 years experience is more important than qualifications

You may take college courses that covers computer design skills, for instance:
--BCS Certificate in 2D Computer Aided Design (ECDL CAD) Level 2
-- BTEC Certificates and Diplomas in Engineering levels 2 and 3
-- BTEC National Certificates and Diplomas in Mechanical, Manufacturing or Civil Engineering Level 3
-- etc

Further training and development that may be helpful:
-- training on the job in specific CAD software relevant to your industry: PDS (Plant Design Systems), etc
-- work-based qualifications which cover CAD:
NVQ Performing Engineering Operations levels 1 and 2
NVQ Engineering Technical Support Level 3
EAL Advanced Diploma in Engineering and Technology Level 3.

You may start to work towards general degree in engineering, construction or civil engineering depending on your field.

You could register with the Engineering Council to gain EngTech status, which could help your professional development.

Lev and other Job Specialists are ready to help you