Job

Ask a Career Counselor for Answers ASAP

Job

Describe briefly your standards of success

Customer Question
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Job
5/16/2007
Career Counselor: The Ombudsman, Executive replied 10 years ago
The Ombudsman
The Ombudsman, Executive
It appears that this is a potential interview question. It is not that much different than "Why do you want the job" if carried to it's logical conclusion.

Almost everyone wants a job because there is a salary involved. When YOU are looking for a job you need to deliver potential to your interviewers that the other candidates for the job won't deliver. Salepeople call this delivery of something that the others don't have a "unique selling proposition."

Your unique selling proposition should emphasize your intrinsic motivation, your willingness and desire to learn what it takes to excel, and your ability to deliver more than just the minimum requirements of the job.

Since it is already clear you want the job, it naturally follows that you want the experience that comes with. Once you learn the job you are likely to want to make more responsible decisions. Once you start making more responsible decisions, you will be worth more to the company and are likely to be a part of increasing revenues, decreasing costs, or improving customer service. THIS role can easily be your definition or standard of success on the job. NOBODY else will take it this far.

Once you start doing THAT, you will be deserving of a promotion and of additional responsibility. All of these things are logical answers to why you want to work at the job, no matter what the initial duties are.

Show these factors to your interviewer, and they will appear to them to be a unique selling proposition - because nobody will explain it this way. If the interviewer has any ability, the job will be yours.
The Ombudsman
The Ombudsman
The Ombudsman, Executive