Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I was recently diagnosed with a right branch blockage during…

Customer Question
I was recently...

I was recently diagnosed with a right bundle branch blockage during a pre-operation ekg for a hernia repair. I am a 67 year old male, 5'10'' and weigh 172 lbs and exercise 5-6 times a week for the past 10 years. No history of smoking. Drink a glass of wine a couple times a week. My question is: How concerned should I be when I am under anesthesia with this condition?

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've experienced (e.g. shortness of breath, heart palpitations, minor physical effort making you feel tired)?

This was a surprise. I jog, surf, and weight train often. I have not experienced any symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have high blood pressure that is under control. I take lisiniprol. Also, twelve years ago,I had prostate cancer and underwent a protatectomy. My pre-op EKG was abnormal. I underwent a battery of tests: echo-cardiogram, stress ekg etc. Cardiologists said I had an episode of bi-gimini but it disappeared and i was cleared for surgery. I have had a few minor procedures over the past twelve years but no return of the bi-giminie.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Have a physical every year. Last one was in Novermber. My GP and surgeon have both read my recent EKG with the RBBB and have cleared me for my hernia surgery this coming Friday. Just trying to get another opinion here.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cardiology
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Cardiologist: tazechip, MD replied 3 months ago
tazechip

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Right bundle branch block would not pose any risk for you while under general anesthesia

Since the rest of your heart workup was normal you'll do fine

Please let me know if you need any more information