Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

My mother is 82 years old and a life smoker and I’m worried…

My mother is 82 years...
My mother is 82 years old and a life Long smoker and I’m worried about her coronary artery blockages(no symptoms) but I would like them checked because her femoral artery is blocked. If a blockage/s are found what procedure would be done?
3/26/2018
tazechip

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

How was the femoral artery blockage found?

Sonogram because of a recurring foot infection
The report said her artery at the hip had stanosis and was significantly blocked by collateral arteries are supplying her lower extremities and femerol artery was mild to moderate
Both her arteries going down to her legs were scanned
If there is 75% blockage in a coronary artery would they stent or preform another procedure even though she’s older?

Any case of peripheral arterial vascular disease like a blocked femoral artery mandates a workup of other possible arterial blockages like the coronary arteries and the carotid arteries.

So if I were her doctor I'd get an EKG, echocardiogram, stress test, and Doppler flow studies of her carotid arteries.

Depending on those results she might need cardiac catherization to look for specific coronary artery blockages and if one or both carotid arteries had significant blockages she'd need vascular surgery to clear them

A stent might be all she'd need for the coronary artery

Please let me know if you need any more information

They said they were gonna do an echo because they heard a murmur

That's part of the workup I mentioned

Did you need any more information?

tazechip
No thank you

My pleasure and call on me anytime