Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I have acid reflux and regurgitation as well as spasms(?)in…

I have acid reflux and...
I have acid reflux and regurgitation as well as spasms(?)in sternum
3/25/2018
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Please reply to the following queries to answer you better.

Since when are you having the symptom?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you consult doctor or have any test?
Did you take any medicine?
I shall answer your question soon after I get those information.
Thank you.

Thanks! I worry because I get them often

Since when are you having the symptom?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you take any medicine?
Thank you.

I have it for at least three months now.I am waiting for an endoscopy but lately they are getting worse.
Last year I had my heart checked (multiple ECG, echo and holter monitor for 48hours and everything was fine)

Are you taking any medicine right now?

How is your diet?

I dont take any medicines except for antioxidants. The acid is constantly there, after I eat and burp
I get the spasms somewhere in my chest and sometimes I get acid immediately after that in my mouth

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.

I feel them like spasms/contractions, like instant palpitation or throbbing sensation I dont know if I am describing correctly but it's scary
I have average weight for my height (160 cm, 52kgr) and I am usually careful on what I eat
I also exercise approximately three times a week for at least 30min
I am a nervous person generally and lately I 've been to lots of stress

Thank you for the input.

I am very sorry for your symptoms.

Your symptoms can be due to reflux disease.

You can take antacid 3-4 times 2 hours after food and at bedtime.

Over the counter medicine Gas- X can help in controlling gas.

Acid lowering agents like ranitidine or nexium can be tried in the morning.

In addition to medicines, you need to have some lifestyle modification like avoiding tea, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, tobacco which aggravate the condition.

Take bland non spicy, low fat diet.

Avoid late night food.

You can also have the head end of the bed raised by using extra pillow.

This will prevent night time reflux.

In some cases H. Pylori infection may precipitate it.

If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor again.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.

Wish you healthy life.

Regards.

Thanks a lot. Can I ask one more question?

You are welcome.

Yes, you can ask related to current question.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish your healthy life.
Warm Regards.

I will. Sometimes, I wake up at night because I have a funny feeling in my stomach/chest (not sure where) and then I feel my stomach upset but I don't get any acid reflux. I sometimes feel that my heart bets hard (not faster or slower just hard). It that a symptom of acid reflux too?

There can be irregular heart rhythm, faster heart rate or tachycardia.
This can arise from anxiety, stress.
Heart issues can be there too.
An EKG or Holter can be taken.

Thanks again.

You can see the rating button on the upper left corner.
Please click 5 star button so that I can get credit for helping you.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you.
Warm Regards

Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)