Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed last year with mild mitral valve prolapse…

I was diagnosed last year...
I was diagnosed last year with mild mitral valve prolapse with mild to moderate mitral valve regurgitation and mild tricuspid valve prolapse. I used to get before about 20 top 30 skipped beats (PVC) a day but now I get 1 or 2 but now after the skipped beat, I get several fast beats one after another in row. Today, right after the skipped beat I counted like 5-6 beats in a row lasting just 1 second or 2. These scare me because it feels like my heart is out of rhythm and is fighting to go back to normal. Are these dangerous? As I read online they can be Afib.
3/23/2018
Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem, Other

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well it needsa Holters test where a monitor is attached to your chest to record any abnormalities in heart rate / rhythm for a couple of days . PVCs are significant if ;

1. Causing symptoms like blackouts / lightheadedness/ chest pain or breathlessness

2. More then 6 / sec

3. If there are runs of Ventricular tacchycardia

There are a few other things too that your cardiologist should look for in the Holters recording.

If found significant you will be referred for Electrophysiological Studies / EPS for exactly locating the origin of abnormal beats as it can be ablated / treated accordingly then.

Besides radiofrequency ablation other treatment options include ;

Beta blocking medications like propanolol.

You need to avoid potential triggers like ;

Coffee

Alcohol

Stress / anxiety etc .

Hope you find it helpful.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I did a Holter's test a couple of years ago for 2 weeks and was found to have PVC and PAC and some runs of tachycardia but when my electrophysiologist look at the results he said it's all in the norm. This was before I was diagnosed with MVP last year. I do sometimes get a little lightheaded when I get it but it lasts for 1-2 seconds for the duration for the extra beats. Other than that, I have been suffering from dizziness for more than 30 years, but this might not be related to MVP. I am getting another ultrasound this year. Do you suggest again the holter monitor? These set of several fast beats after the skipped beat might not be caught as it happens like once every 15 days or so.

Yes i would say a repeat Holters just to see if we can pick up anything this time . You are experiencing these abnormal beats so its a good idea to get it re-evaluated.

Hope it answers your query

Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem, Other
Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem, Other