Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Can you look at my blood works

can you look at my blood works
3/22/2018
DrDLove

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What blood tests do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just general

Can you attach the labs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
lab

I am sorry for the delay, but I had gone to bed when I had not heard back for a couple hours.

There are several abnormal results that warrant comment. However, I notice that the report says that the blood was drawn at 12:30. Some of these labs are only meaningful if you were fasting at the time that the blood was drawn, particularly the blood sugar and the triglycerides. If you were not fasting then disregard my comments about the blood sugar and triglycerides. Instead, the results should be rechecked when you are fasting.

The blood sugar is slightly elevated if it is a fasting specimen. It is not quite to the range to be considered diabetes, but it is very close. The HgbA1c is also slightly elevated, but not to a level that would be considered diabetes. In someone that has never been diagnosed with diabetes, a slightly elevated fasting blood sugar and HsbA1c indicates that they are at increased risk of being diagnosed with diabetes over time. At this stage, the primary interventions are lifestyle interventions - eating a healthy diet, particularly limiting sweets and fats, and getting regular aerobic exercise.

Although the uric acid is slightly elevated, it is not significant if you have never had any manifestations of gout.

The BUN and creatinine are both elevated, and at a level that indicates chronic kidney disease, but transient changes in these results can occur from other problems, such as dehydration. The most common reason for chronic kidney disease causing this level of abnormality would be from the effect of high blood pressure or diabetes on the kidneys, but your doctor would need to assess what may be causing this.

The cholesterol values are good, but the triglycerides (fats) are elevated. The usual first intervention would be dietary restriction of fat intake.

The CRP level is stated to be high, but it is high relative to the ideal level that would indicate a low level of risk for heart disease. Your level is at an average level of risk for heart disease, and most people are at an average risk for heart disease.

The vitamin D level is slightly low. It would be considered vitamin D insufficiency rather than vitamin D deficiency. At this level, it typically would not be causing any symptoms, but it is appropriate to take a vitamin D supplement to increase the levels and prevent becoming deficient in the future.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was not fasting

Then the blood sugar and lipids cannot be properly interpreted, so the most that should be done is rechecking these tests when fasting.

On the other hand, since eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly is reasonable because of the HgbA1c and no other intervention would be necessary, it would be fine to wait to recheck the labs after a period of lifestyle changes.

DrDLove
DrDLove
DrDLove
DrDLove, MD