Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a history of tachycardia, the first time when a grad…

Customer Question
Hi,I have a history of...
Hi,I have a history of tachycardia, the first time when a grad student at ASU at age 24 and just shooting baskets and felt that my heart was fluttering as I could not feel individual beats, and was scared as heck and drove to ER where the doctor gave me a shot to slow down my heart rate (told heart rate was 256 times a minute), and then referred to cardiologist who diagnosed as mitral valve prolapse. The problem has reoccurred throughout my life, but never to the extent of the first time.Subsequent visits to cardiologists have had different opinions; e.g., not mitral valve prolapse, but no cause cited. Often the scenario was tachycardia very soon after fell asleep and then resuming normal rhythm within minutes.I have worn a holter twice with no abnormal findings, but did go to ER about five years ago with tachycardiain 13-'s and had EKG where subsequently went to cardiologist and had echo and stress test, and she offered option of cardiac ablation to alleviate future tachycardia, but since she said that tachycardia would not injure me I elected not to do the procedure. She told me over the phone she suspected dysautonomia, but did not request I come in for subsequent visit.Well, hardly any tachycardia last five years, but this year several cases (slightly over 100 and then increasing when became anxious as I measured HR with oximeter, slowing when I talked to nurse on call line).So after wearing holter and nothing unusual felt relieved, but on 2/24 I laid in bed after a short walk, and felt a bit winded (not gasping or out of breath, but this past year I really got out of shape due to lack of exercise due to dizziness caused by postviral vestibular neurotinitis. Andyway, measured HR at rest at 133 and got alarmed and could not find beta blocker (metaprolol) and panicked and felt flutter the same as when 24. Called 911 and by time paramedics got there HR down to 133, but said pulse not steady and wanted to take to ER for observation. Well, stayed at 133 for about an hour; got calcium blocker at ER, but cardiologist said HR returned to normal by itself and not the injection.I was diagnosed with atrial flutter, and cardiologist recommends cardiac ablation. Now on beta blocker (was taking one a day in past but just as needed last few years; at hospital told me that taking it as needed was not proper; yet, when saw cardiolist on 2/27 he said he was OK for taking as needed and that the beta blocker would not stop HR from going into tachycardia (although have read elsewhere net that helps prevent arrhythmia). Put on blood thinner (Eliquis).I have several questions that I will ask as individual questions to compensate to better compensate you for time, but initially what the heck is going on with prior diagnosis of benign and now being told that situation where stroke is risk without meds or ablation? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cardiology
3/13/2018
Cardiologist: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I am a pediatrician with extensive experience in intensive and if it is so we can continue here. If you want only a cardiologist, I will opt out, so that another expert can help you. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please refer to cardiologist. Thank you.

Hello...I am going to opt out so that a cardiologist will take up. Thank you.

Cardiologist: Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr .Saeed ahmed

Thank you for your question, It was always a tachyarrythmia from the start, now because guidelines of fast heart rate have changed and compel all cardiologists to add a blood thinner to reduce the chances of stroke. In your case same has happened, your atrial flutter may have become more persistent so your cardiologist wants to reduce the chances of stroke so has added eliquis.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is not what I was told. The blood thinner is too reduce the risk of stroke for episodes of atrial flutter; however, for tachycardia resulting from Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia, it is benign, and no medication or other treatment is required although ablation is a solution if you want to rid yourself of the occasional tachycardia. I was told I probably have two types of tachycardia, the latest being the atrial flutter. However, at this point not certain. No EKG prior has noted atrial flutter.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is, no EKG noted atrial flutter until the episode about three weeks ago when I went to the hospital and stayed overnight for observation. Cardiologist now recommends ablation due to risk of long term use of blood thinner. Says might as well take care of SVT at same time, although raise risk of complications from 2-3% to 5%. Told success rate is 90-95%; however, said 50% chance that will develop Afib over time.
Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor