Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had ongoing episodes of flutter/ palpitations for…

Customer Question
I have had ongoing...

I have had ongoing episodes of flutter/ palpitations for several months now. I saw my GMP about 3 weeks ago and was fitted with a Holter moitor for 24 hours which coincided with an almost symptom - free day. However, about 5 days ago I found my symptoms were more or less continuous and was awake all night. I went to my gp's surgery next morning and was taken by ambulance to the local A&E. I was admitted for 3days and they found my Potassium was 2.5 I received KCl infusions which brought my K up to 3.1.I was given slow K which I've been on for 3 days now but have started having continuous palpitations again. I am a 66 yr old male living alone. Should I go to Hospital? David.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Not today. Taking frusemide 40mg b. d. Carvedilol 3.125mg b. d. Slow K 2 tabs b. d. and pantoprazole 40mg b. d.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a severe bleed from gastric varices last October and had a gastric band placed. But have been fine since then. Had follow up gastroscopy in early Feb.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cardiology
3/11/2018
Cardiologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. If you are still experiencing palpitations and they are not stopping then you should DEFINITELY go back to A&E as soon as possible. Palpitations of this sort can occur due to the electrolyte derangement that you had, being on slow release potassium could have led to a higher level of potassium than normal or it is still possible that you could have a low potassium or even a derangement of the magnesium level.

If you are experiencing shortness of breath or even chest pain or dizziness or lightheadedness then you should immediately go to the ER again.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist