Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I was recently diagnosed with a moderate at best mitral

Customer Question
I was recently diagnosed...

I was recently diagnosed with a moderate at best mitral valve leak. What are my treatment options?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes my cardiologist is the person who found it in a stress test. I take Amlodopine , Coumadin, and Metoprolol.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have Afib, high cholesterol, high BP, Ulcerative Colitis, and I'm in remission from breast CA and Thyroid CA.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Yes there is a strong family history of high BP and coronary disease.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cardiology
3/7/2018
Cardiologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually with most mild to moderate mitral valve insufficiency (Leaks/regurgitation) the treatment of choice is to closely observe the mitral valve itself with yearly echocardiograms in the beginning and at the same time to improve the cardiac function. This would be mean that you would be started on medications like diuretics, blood thinners (which you are already on), beta-blockers (which you are also taking) and also medications to control your blood pressure strictly. High uncontrolled blood pressure can cause the mitral leak to worsen over time and it is important to prevent that from occurring. Now amlodipine is a good drug to control the blood pressure but it does have a negative effect on the heart in that it may decrease the pumping action of the heart. This MAY need to be changed IF the echocardiogram showed a decreased pumping activity, which would be evident with the development of grade II or above diastolic dysfunction or even a decrease in the ejection fraction of the heart.

The ideal treatment for the mitral leak is the replacement of the valve itself however that is a procedure which is undertaken only when there is no other choice and when the leak is usually severe in nature. It can be replaced even with moderate leaks when the leak is affecting the cardiac function significantly.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/