Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

My doctor said this is pitting edema and it wasn't anything…

Customer Question
My doctor said this is...
My doctor said this is pitting edema and it wasn't anything I should worry about. But I read an article that said if you have this, it could be that you have heart problems. What is your opinion? This is is my calf. I'm on a lot of different medications including HCTZ and nadolol.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cardiology
12/31/2017
Cardiologist: tazechip, MD replied 6 months ago
tazechip

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Is this only happening in one leg and how long have you had it?

Thank you for your Speedy answer. Both legs and I have had it as long as I can remember as an adult. It's not just in my legs but to a lesser degree and other areas close to the Bone like my head. I found that out once when I was pushing on my head when I had a migraine. It to a much lesser degree and more pressure. I'm like this all the time, and I drink a lot of water. Most days 2 quarts or more. The only other thing that I drink is one cup of coffee, rarely two. I have been overweight all my life and currently morbidly obese at 290 lbs. My husband and I are committing to a healthier lifestyle. I hate to say New Year's resolutions because that sounds temporary to me. Let me know if you want to know the other medications that I take.

OK--let's do a check list here--

Have you had a full cardiac evaluation--EkG, echocardiogram, stress test and chest x-ray?

Have you had your liver kidney and thyroid functions tested?

Have you had Doppler venous flow studies of the legs?

And what are the medications you take?

I have had none of the ones in the first set. I believe my doctor has checked kidney, liver, and thyroid. I have blood work done every 3 or 6 months I can't remember. I want to ask my doctor what kinds of things the blood work covers. His answer was everything. I may have a copy of the results to see if those tests have been done. How would they appear on my report from the lab? I mean like what are the test called? I have not had the Doppler venous flow done. I'm going to send this to you now and then I will list my medications. I may have to leave for a bit and won't be able to get back to you. It won't be long though like maybe 2 hours.
That should say I once asked my doctor...

BUN, creatinine, AST, ALT, alkaline phosphatase, bilirubin, albumen, T3, T4, TSH

I take sumatriptan as needed for migraines, but I get a lot of migraines. I started a new supplement called migraine stop which contains magnesium sync

Can you check on the labs please?

I pressed the wrong thing I will update and yes those tests are all familiar.

OK

Here are the ingredients in migraine stop: magnesium acid chelate, magnesium ortate, magnesium citrate vitamin B6 vitamin B3 folic acid zinc amino acid chelate viburnum opulus inactive ingredients of magnesium stearate silicone veggie caps. Medications are HCTZ Effexor 2 at Night 2 in the morning. Amitriptyline,nadolol, atorvastatin, Trazodone, aptiom. Vicodin twice a day Ritalin twice a day. And because most of those medications cause constipation, I take up to 7 Center s and three to four other stool softener. I use fluticasone and rarely an appointment for my joints. I was thinking meloxicam but it started bothering my stomach. I didn't want to stop the supplements my neurologist wanted me to use so I'm also taking an additional B6 and B3 at least until my next appointment in January.

Thanks

But what about your labs?

Everything normal

And any problem with chest pain or shortness of breath?

No, only the normal shortness of breath when I try to get around more than usual. I don't "get around" much because if I try, my legs become paralyzed from knee down. (nerves are pinched in spine. I had a surgery same problem recurred higher up.)

OK

Then it doesn't sound like congestive heart failure

And not a kidney or liver problem

So basically all that's left is an incompetent valve venous problem in your legs that allows the blood to pool in your lower legs and causes the pitting edema

That isn't dangerous and besides diuretics custom fitted thigh high elastic stockings can help with that

Please let me know if you need any more information

It doesn't really bother me so is there any reason to treat it with medication or the stockings you mentioned?

No, it doesn't really need any treatment unless the edema is in some way uncomfortable

Happy New Year

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you