Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a weird pain in my chest(left side) for the last…

Customer Question
Hi i have had...

Hi i have had a weird pain in my chest(left side) for the last 4 weeks. my breathing is ok but ive developed a bit of a cough. my chest feels tight and heavy most of the time now. i started a new job around the same time this started and i sit in a damp car all day. im 48 and female. oh and i smoke.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

No and not really.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cardiology
12/31/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You need following investigations for the evaluation;

1) Chest x-ray

2) EKG

3) Echocardiography.

Your symptoms may not be due to heart disease but it should be categorically ruled out by the investigations.

Following are the possibilities of the diagnosis;

1) GERD acid reflux would be prime consideration as it is one of the commonest cause for non cardiac chest pain.

2) Hiatus hernia

3) Esophagitis

4) Costochondritis; it is inflammation at the junctions of rib and cartilage or with the breast bone / sternum. Local analgesic ointment, or spray, chest brace and warm compresses with Ibuprofen is helpful. Another possibility is muscle sprain. Please read about the costochondritis;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

5) Esophageal spasm

6) Pleurodynia

7) Polychondritis

Investigations like Barium esophagogram, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD; camera exam), Esophageal manometry, Ambulatory 24-hour pH monitoring may be the next step of evaluation by your doctor.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl Happy new year 2018.