Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Im 53 and have a family history of heart problems, for

Customer Question
instance, my mother takes nitroglycerin...
Im 53 and have a family history of heart problems, for instance, my mother takes nitroglycerin tablets and her mother had a stroke. Theres no history much worse than that. As far as i know Ive got a murmer. But over the last few months my blood pressure has gone up considerably. Used to be 100/70 now its running 165/120 on average. Dr put me on blood pressure meds. Im maybe 20 lbs over weight but highly active. For the last week when i lay down or recline, after about 20 min i have the most god awful pain in my chest directly behind my left breast. At first it was fading in and out but it was so bad last night and it was nonstop., no fading in and out, thst I had to keep getting up because thats the only way to stop it. It hurts so badly i keep stretching out my left arm because its beginning to ,..not hurt but its effected somehow. Hard to describe. And this morning when it finally drove me out of bed the pain was under both breasts and its was a searing pain almost felt like a hot nonstop stabbing pain, that's the best way i know to describe it. Im scared to rest. I cant even when i try. Its only when I'm lying down or reclined thst out happens, any clue as to why would be most helpful.. And why does it happen only when i lay down
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cardiology
12/19/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

i was away from my phone.

It sounds like acid reflux pain

this is common with laying flat

I'm very sorry about this

have you tried prilosec?

It feels hot as in my body temp feels like it goes up. But this is a stabbing pain. It takes my breath away. Its effecting my left arm and the center of the pain seems to stay on one general area. With acid reflux there sould be a burning sensation in my esophagus, my husband has it. This isnt anything like that. Im tried constantly which is abnormal, im dizzy light headed. But the pain in getting unbearable at times. Its like having a pole shoved thru my left breast and out my back. But only when i lie down or decline my sitting position. But youre more knowledgeable about this than me and that's why im here

acid reflux can trigger an esophageal spasm

this feels like pain

it could be a musculoskeletal issue as well

But I doubt cardiac

Cardiac pain would occur with exertion or stress

not lying down

make sense?

Then how did i have a stroke in my sleep 11 years ago. I dont know what to do. I have no burning as in acid backing up . No bloating, no gas no burping. Im a vegan. And am very careful of what i eat. It just doesnt make sense.
But thank you for your time. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me. I just cant see how pain in the left side of my chest is heart burn related.

I would try prilosec 20 mg daily.

see your doctor obviously for an EKG and cardiac workup

but I doubt that to be the case

My husband just informed me his coworker had a heart attack sitting next to him with his feet up. Hed been sitting and talking for 2 hours. Not exerting himself at all. Just sitting and talking . But you said cardiac problems dont happen unless theres stress or exertion. He had neither. But ill eat some tums tonight. Maybe my chest wont hurt so bad i cry out in my sleep and my arm wont hurt or go numb. Ill let you know if you were right when i see a dr.

That would be very unusual. Plus, I doubt your husband's friend had no warning symptoms prior to that.

Very very very rarely do people just go along fine with no exertional symptoms and boom...heart attack.

The fact that this is triggered with laying flat indicates a likely GI related issue

Could it be cardiac? Sure I suppose so. But I would be shocked by that.

I do recommend a cardiac workup as above to be sure but I doubt it.

Is this helpful?

I done a lot of research on line and without knowing the top 10 symptoms of a woman experiencing a heart attack, i wss shocked to discover i had been exhibiting symptoms for weeks. Had i been aware of them or even been asked about them then maybe your answer would have been different . Im not a dr therefore im not aware of what i should look for or whats not normal. Therefore i find it disconcerting that you didnt ask me one question and based your opinion solely on the information i gave you, when i was clueless. I assumed the symptoms ive been having were menopausal related . I didnt know that my upper back pain, dizzy spells, unusual sweating, difficulty sleeping, shortness of breath, feeling exhausted, no energy , were anything less than me getting older and brushed it aside. Once i began having the extreme pain (which got my full attention) i came to this sight as ive done before but never for this. I found your answer unaccerptable knowing i didnt have heartburn. i researched for myself , , which i should have done too begin with, and afterwords i went straight to ER and was admitted very quickly. . I hope no one bases theyre decisions on your answers because i could have died had i accepted your response or followed your advice and waited to see my reg doctor for a workup.
So no, you were not helpful, you were wrong.
I hope i was helpful

I told you to get your heart checked to be sure.

I know what you told me.
"It sounds like acid reflux pain
this is common with laying flat
I'm very sorry about this
have you tried prilosec"
Not one question about symptoms.
"I would try prilosec 20 mg daily.
but I doubt that to be the case'You doubted any cardiac issues, some people may have trusted your advice"Very very very rarely do people just go along fine with no exertional symptoms and boom...heart attack"
You did admit it was "possible" and i should follow thru with cardiac workup. You said..'Could it be cardiac? Sure I suppose so. But I would be shocked by that.
I do recommend a cardiac workup as above to be sure but I doubt it'But you still doubted it. If i were someone without insurance, most likely i would have done nothing more. You need to ask questions. Most people are ignorant when it comes to heart issues, including myself. I have unbelievable stress in my life so my symptoms were brushed off as stress related, menopausal, overworked. The pain is what got my attention but it took a week before i did anything. Why? Because im ignorant of my own bodys signals . I have a business to run, a family to care for, a house to maintain, its christmas, tax season is coming. I dont have time for dizzy spells and nausea. I DIDNT KNOW. but you didnt ask. Im going to be fine, or so i tell myself. Bypass surgery is for old people. I forget that includes me because i still feel 35. People depend on doctors to make them aware of danger. I could have gotten the heartburn diagnosis from my gardener. But you should have asked. Would it has been that difficult to ask 2 or 3 questions or to even advise me to go directly to ER based only on my blood pressure. But prilosec? Please just be aware. People pay for this service because they want to believe they are ok, its just a little pain. So the answers we recieve we need/want to trust and we do because of credentials. One thing drs dont show is enough concern, arent they supposed to care? Why else would they play God. Ill be ok. Maybe the next ignorant person wont be.
I hope i was helpful.
Respectfully, *****
K L

I am glad you are ok but I respectfully disagree.

good luck

Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor