Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

My 9 year old got ecg as boarderline and a left axis

Customer Question
deviation. What is that?...
My 9 year old got ecg as boarderline and a left axis deviation. What is that?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cardiology
12/15/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to say that in this condition there is a swing of the cardiac axis to the left - ie less than minus 30 degrees. It is usually the result of a left anterior hemiblock rather than to the increased bulk of muscle of the left ventricle. Other causes include inferior myocardial infarction, hyperkalaemia, congenital heart disease. I will suggest to make an early appointment with the child cardiologist at the earliest for detail evaluation and more sensitive tests such as heart echo. In case of chest pain, shortness of breath or dizziness visit A/E or emergency at the earliest.

Let me know If you need any more information. Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

Do you want to the ecg? What is treatment. Is this serious?

That should be ok as you mentioned about the left axis deviation. Treatment is depending on the cause and can be serious like I have mentioned above. In this age group, important to investigate congenital heart disease. The most important step now to have urgent evaluation by the cardiologist and follow up tests or scans such as heart echo, chest x ray is very important. Sometimes it can be due to minor problem but thorough investigation is a key including full hear and physical check up.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor