Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I was interested in speaking with a cardiologist about an…

Customer Question
I was interested in...

I was interested in speaking with a cardiologist about an odd occurrence I have when I lay down to go to sleep.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have an active relationship with a cardiologist, as I have a mitrol valve that leaks. I'm not on any medications at this time.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that I have moderate regurgitation due to my leaking valve, but not to the state where something should be done about it. There have been some suspicions about Marfan's Syndrome due to physical body structure, but nothing has been verified, and I haven't really had any other symptoms.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cardiology
12/13/2017
Cardiologist: DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

What is your specific question?

Thanks. So when I lay down at night, my heart starts pounding. Not racing, just pounding hard. At the same time, I get the sensation that I can feel the blood flowing (squirting) through my aorta down my spine. So it'll be "thump, thump, squirt... thump thump squirt..." It only does this when I lay down at night. I don't feel it during the day. It'll last perhaps 5 minutes or so, and then it goes away, or I fall asleep. Should I be concerned about this?

Have you mentioned it to your cardiologist and what did he tell you?

I did mention it to his nurse practitioner (or physician's assistant, can't remember her title), and she didn't have any concerns. I told her is was a pulse I could feel in my lower back, which it is, but I've observed that it really seems to run the length of my spine.Because she hadn't heard of anything like that, she checked with another cardiologist, and he had no clue as to what it would be either. She looked at a report of my latest CT scan as well, and said that the analysis of the aorta didn't show any abnormalities all the way along the route.I just think about it, because of course when you're laying in bed and feel it, it weighs on your mind. :-)

Have you had a holter monitor for this?

I did wear a holter monitor in the past. Not really too much came back on that, other than the fact that I have PVC's throughout the day, and at times an elevated heart beat. But never expressed any additional concerns.
Like I said, it's always when I lay down (can't recall an instance of it being noticeable outside of that), and it's this pulsating or "blood flow feel" that I sense along my spine that concerns me. No pain associated with it though.

OK

So there is no way to tell what it is without testing.

You should have a holter monitor to wear when it happends.

It can still be a type of arrythmia with just this symptom.

In fact, an event monitor would be better, that way, it can be worn for several days, and when you have the symptom, you activate it. This has a higher yield.

The sensation along the spine is not a typical medical symptom, it is what is called a paresthesia, literally, odd sensation, which can be cause by cardiac problems, nerve problems, and metabolic problems such as hyperthyroidism.

Discuss all of this with your doctor.

If you develop any additional symptoms, to the ER.

In fact, to be completely safe, getting the monitor from the ER now would be ideal, after having an EKG.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually on your page]. In fact, and this is most important for continued service, a 5 rating squares me with JustAnswer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician