Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I had an echocardiogram (Doppler) today and it showed

Customer Question
HI. I had an...

HI. I had an echocardiogram (Doppler) today and it showed mild/moderate enlargement of left atria (45.6). I had an A-Fib incident two days ago that converted to normal after 2 hours. Could this cause an enlarged reading? Can the dilation be reversed with meds?

Doctor's Assistant: Can you tell me about all the symptoms you've experienced (e.g. shortness of breath, heart palpitations, minor physical effort making you feel tired)?

No symptoms after A-Fib converted back to normal. A-FIb symptoms were racing heart (120 beats per min) while my usual rate is 60 beats per min as I am a runner.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Very good health. Age 56. My father had Atrial fibrillation due to heart valve disease caused by rheumatic fever. He died of a stroke at age 56. I take Lisiniprol and my BP is good (130/70)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. My only health issue is paroxysmal Atrial fibrillation and mild/moderate enlargement of left atria.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cardiology
Q: can a recent A-fib incident and a night of excessive alcohol intake before an echocardiogram cause temporary enlargement of left atria in echocardiogram?
12/12/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

still need help?

I have not seen the answer yet?
Email response is fine.

do you drink alcohol?

A few drinks per night. The night before the test I had about 5 drinks. Could that cause a higher reading for left atria? Can the enlargement be checked or reversed over time?

that can enlarge the atrium

You need to quit drinking completely and it will reverse the enlarged atrium

do another echo in 6 months and it will be normal if you quit alcohol

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

The answer seems kind of simplistic. What if left atrium is enlarging due to hereditary factors? Can one glass of wine per night increase left atrium size? If so why hasn't it increased until now? Can an A fib incident cause an enlarged atrium reading that is temporary due to inflammation?

Well you didn't say one glass of wine per night

you said "a few drinks per night"

A few drinks and one drink are different.

OK so if I stick with one drink per night or less and keep BP down I may be able to stop the atrium from increasing in size or reverse moderate dilation? Does an A-Fib incident that lasts a few hours effect an echo reading two days later or probably not? Thx

1)yes, 1 drink per night or less will have negligible impact on the atrium and it should reverse to normal size

2)Yes, it can affect the echo. That is possible. But it is more likely the other way around. The enlarged atrium caused the a fib incident rather than a result of

thanks for this question.

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor