Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I need to ask a question to a Cardiologist or heart doctor.

Customer Question
Hi, I need to...

Hi, I need to ask a question to a Cardiologist or heart doctor

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Poor sleep history, former smoker quit 9 years ago, generally healthy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cardiology
12/6/2017
Cardiologist: tazechip, MD replied 4 months ago
tazechip

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

What's your question please?

Hi there. I recently have had a history of poor sleep, marked by frequent nighttime awakenings with shortness of breath, sometimes mild sometimes more marked. Also, I find that I urinate 2-3 times per night. The poor sleep has been ongoing for many years (frequent nighttime awakenings and early AM wakening), but the nighttime shortness of breath began this year. IO had tow at home sleep apnea tests which ruled out Obstructive Sleep Apnea, but noted some possible Central apneas. Then, yesterday, I had a CBC, Metabolic panel and Cardiac specific CRP test - I am very concerned, as my cholesterol levels came back as: Total: 193, HDL: 53, Triglycerides: 133, LDL 113, VLDL 27, but the CRP, Cardiac came back at 5.55, which I am told is quite above the 3.0 threshold we like to see. The doctor who called me with results was rushed, and wants to do either a stress test or a more "accurate" test to determine why this number is ***** I asked what COULD cause this number to be 5.55 but got little answer from her. I am concerned and need more detailed answers as to this test, what it looks for, and what could cause a 5.55 in a 35 year old male.
Weight: 160
Height: 5'9"
BP: 118/80 (Average for me)
Pulse, resting: 82 (Average for me)
Smoked, Quit 8 years ago
Social drinker 2-3 times weekly, 3-5 drinks per session although sometimes more
Family history of heart disease and High BP on father's side only

Well the C reactive protein is a measure of inflammation and it be an indication of coronary artery disease

Moderate risk would be up to 3.0 so you seem to have a higher risk for heart disease.

I think the stress test is warranted here to check this further but most likely you'll pass that and this elevated CRP is a red herring as to a heart problem

Please let me know if you need any more information

tazechip
tazechip
tazechip, MD