Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

My blood pressure has always been 130/80 and my ears started…

Customer Question
My blood pressure has...

My blood pressure has always been 130/80 and my ears started ringing so I took my pressure this morning and it was 159/110 at eight and is 170/ 110 now. What would cause this

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

Felt a sharp pain in my chest last night, but went away , that was one of the reasons I took my blood pressure, Ringing in the ear and a very mild chest pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Four years ago had a blood clot in my leg, but the heart checked out good.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cardiology
12/5/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask what is your age and gender? Also did you experience any shortness of breath or sweating with the chest pain?

Male 69, Some mild chest pain. Just took pressure again and went to 177/110

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

From your description, I would first advise that you have this evaluated AS SOON AS POSSIBLE by visiting the ER. Even though the chest pain is mild I would still have an EKG done, simply because of your age and the fact that your blood pressure has jumped up to 177/110. This blood pressure should be controlled as soon as possible before it actually causes more strain on the heart or even in the brain. Sudden rises in blood pressure like this can be due to the kidneys, which can occur because of narrowing of the arteries of the kidneys. Renal artery stenosis can lead to this problem which can be diagnosed by a simple doppler ultrasound of the kidneys. Additionally, a sudden rise in blood pressure can also be due to an adrenal issue like pheochromocytoma which is a BENIGN tumor of the adrenals releasing an increased amount of catecholamines. This would be diagnosed on a Ct scan of the abdomen.

It is also possible that this rise is associated with hardening of the arteries of the body due to the normal aging process along with deposition of cholesterol inside of them. Regardless of the cause of the high blood pressure, your symptoms of ringing in the ear, chest pain and the very high blood pressure ALL indicate that you should be managed in the ER with the help of an EKG and also a full clinical examination.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/