Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

In september a dr did a 24 holter monitor because i was

Customer Question
getting a heart rate of...
In september a dr did a 24 holter monitor because i was getting a heart rate of 100 to 120 doing normal activities around the house. This holter monitor report came back with a min of 40 bpm and a max of 240. I did not feel anything at the time of 240 and was just sitting on the couch according to my activity report. The doctor said it was more then likely just due to movement and false. The doctor said i just had tacacardia and put me on beta blockers. I did not feel comfortable with the results from this report or comfortable with this doctor so i went with a different one. It took 3 months for the old dr to send the report from the holter to the new dr. I asked him if the report was correct. he showed me the zig zags and they were so close together he said he could not read them he also said that there was a place the report said my heart rate was 189 but that the zig zags looked like less. He also said alot of the report did not make sence. He said he would not be concerned with the report. Are holter monitor results wrong sometimes? Should i get a new holter monitor test? He is continueing me on the beta blockers should he be sending me to a cardiologist? Is a primary care dr able to read the report results. Im so worried my heart is beating the 240 the test says and ill have a heart attack and the results were right and their just saying there wrong.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cardiology
12/1/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Jessica,

Holter monitoring is read in conjunction of the activity. So many times interpretation may be different. Ideally it should be read by a cardiologist and you should consult one, instead of Primary care doctor.

With your wide pulse rate; it is good that you have been prescribed beta blockers.

But you may get the Holter repeated if your cardiology referral suggests.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Could the report have been in error? With a heart rate of 240 shouldnt i have felt something?

A rate of 240 is too high and there is fall of blood pressure so dizziness and sinking sensation are the commonest symptom. Since you did not feel anything; this may be due to movements.

It is privilege assisting you.

Would a primary care dr be able to tell if it is correct or not

Usually yes, but the report should be confirmed by a cardiologist.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Can they just send the report to another cardiologist to look at or do i need to get a referal and go see a cardiologist?

They can send the report to the cardiologist without you visiting one.

Your can request to your primary care physician.

Cardiologist: Dr. David, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

are you asking for another expert to help you here

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

severe anxiety symptoms can cause fast heart rate at rest.

this was an error of of the machine. your heart rate would not be going up to 240 at rest

it was due to movement of your body and the leads not reading correctly

when you move your body or contract chest muscles, this can also produce electricity that the leads can read.

for a true EKG, you need to be at rest.

but for a holter monitor test, you can't be at rest

what the holter monitor test is suppose to do is check for abnormal rare heart arrhythmias

and it didn't find any abnormal heart arrhythmias which is a good thing

let me know if you have questions.

I have the report in front of me. I tried to take a picture to show you but it wont work.
It says min heart rate 47 bpm max at (28) 4:44: 3 day 2 max 242 bpm at 19:52:39 day 1 ave 125 bpm
total beats 130606 (7343 not norm)Ventricular ectopics
Ve runs 14 couplets 78 bigeminys 114 trigeminys 85Supraventricular ectopics
Sve runs 39 afib 0%
tachys (>130bpm) 62413 (<48%)
Bradys (<50 bpm) 875 (<1%)
Hrv sdann: 25, sdnn:142 sdnn index 519. Pnn50:88 rmssd:113Pauses (>2sec) 57
Tachy runs 4477 brady runs 94
Rhythm:
St40 min: -0.1 at (27) 3:13:14 day 2 max 10.8 at 17:42:42 day1.
#patient marks:3Scan quality
St slope
Min -1.6 at 18:37:13 day 1 max 9.2 at 17:46:1 day 1
The patients average heart rate was 125. Tachycardia was detected <48% of the time. (9:35:5 total duration)
Bradycardia was detected <1% of the time. (0:19:57 total brady duratio )
2110 ventricular ectopics were detected, representing (<2%) of the time. (030:11 total ve duration)
5233 supraventricular ectopics were detected, representing (<5%) of the time. (1:0:12 total ve duration)
57 pauses were detected. The longeat pause lasted 79184 seconds and was at 10: 0: 0.Avg st40 was 0.73 min -0.1 at 3:13:14 am max 10.8 at 17:42:42

thanks for posting your results

reading this report, it can sound very scary.

but many of these findings and heart ectopic beats can be very normal

if you have bad anxiety symptoms, this can lead your heart to beat fast and have tachycardia frequently

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

i do. Both doctors said they thought the report probably had alot of artifact. They said it did not look like it made sence. It does look scary. Does it look dangerous? All they have me on is bata blockers?

your holter monitor results don't look dangerous

they look normal

the fast heart rate or tachycardia and ectopic beats can be due to your anxiety symptoms

all you need is the beta blocker to help slow down your heart

medications like propranolol can help slow down your heart and can help decrease some of your anxiety symptoms

if your anxiety symptoms are still bad, you may need other medications.

you don't have a heart arrhythmia

you don't have to worry about this

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com