Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

What causes leg cramps/wave/numbness that goes on up to my…

Customer Question
What causes leg cramps/wave/numbness...

What causes leg cramps/wave/numbness that goes on up to my waist?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling. The wave of weakness/pain just waved through from my feet to my waist and lasted for about 10 minutes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a pacemaker, afib

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cardiology
11/29/2017
Cardiologist: drsohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
drsohaib
drsohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant and I will do my best to help you today.

I would like to get some more information regarding your symptoms to help you more efficiently.

Did you have back ache with this?

Was it first time for you to experience this?

No,yes

Most common cause for this is a muscular spasm secondary to physical exertion, together with dehydration.

But another possibility could be of a pinched nerve in the spine (which needs MRI for diagnosis).

But since this happened first time, and that too transiently, I would bet on some thing benign like a muscular spasm.

Just watchfully observe/monitor yourself for any recurrence of this symptom, and if recurs frequently would require evaluation.

Some times this can also happen due to low calcium or magnesium in the body.

Keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Gentle Stretching of muscles will be helpful.