Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Im 22 years old and have pre hypertension does this mean my…

Customer Question
Im 22 years old and...
Im 22 years old and have pre hypertension does this mean my arteries are clogged or any damage to my blood vessels has occurred. I've only been pre hypertensive lately for most of my life it's been excellent
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cardiology
11/21/2017
Cardiologist: DrDLove, MD replied 7 months ago
DrDLove

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

No, the presence of pre-hypertension does not mean that the arteries are clogged or damaged. The damage and blockage of the arteries that can occur in people with hypertension occurs after years of having hypertension, rather than during the stage of pre-hypertension. And the key method for preventing these changes in the arteries is maintaining good control of the blood pressure, either by lifestyle changes or with medicines.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Well why I'm concerned is I've always had great blood pressure, granted I'm fatter now and because of my depression I've been eating a lot. But I've now statred walking 25 minutes a day and eating a low sodium diet with only friuts and veggies. I have less than 20% of my food be processed food. Now I was an obese kid so I don't know if I damaged my arteries than. But I lost a lot of weight and than I gained sixty pounds in a year. I'm 6 ft 220 pounds started diet and exerscise a few days ago. My average np lately has been 133/88 sometimes as high as 140/91 but I'm very stressed lately so I'm not sure if this is pre hypertension or hypertension. I have a no machine at home so I check often
Is medicine for pre hypertension nesscery or is diet and lifestyle changes usually best ?

It is the blood pressure that is present most of the time that determines whether you have pre-hypertension, and if your blood pressure averages 133/88, that would be pre-hypertension.

We use lifestyle changes for management of pre-hypertension.

Can I reverse pre hypertension ?
Also can I have damaged my arteries by being a fat kid. I had a calcium ct score done when I was 21 and it was zero also have had echo cardiograms done once a year since I was 18 all good except for trivial tricuspid regurgitation which cardiologist said was a normal finding on echo for most

Yes and no. The primary issue with pre-hypertension is that it defines a population that is at risk of developing overt hypertension over time. Lifestyle changes, and particularly losing weight, can cause the current blood pressure to return to a normal level, so that you will no longer be in the range of pre-hypertension. But even if that happens, the fact that you developed pre-hypertension at this age shows that you have a tendency to get an elevated blood pressure. And this means that you are at increased risk of developing overt hypertension over your lifetime.

You typically would not have damaged your arteries by being a fat kid, and the previous normal evaluation would support that there is no damage.

But I'm I change my life style choices and what I eat and it goes back to normal can't I just keep it there? By haveing good diet and exerscise. I mean if I developed pre hypertension this young, I'm obviously doing somthing wrong. I don't smoke or drink. I'm just fat stressed bad diet and inactive need to change that

You may be able to keep your blood pressure there, but you are at increased risk of developing hypertension during your lifetime. There are some people that develop hypertension as they age, even if they maintain healthy lifestyle habits and ideal body weight, and your risk of that happening is greater compared to other people of your age that have never had pre-hypertension.

It is also true that as you get older, your risk is even greater if you do not follow healthy lifestyle habits or gain weight. Throughout your life, your best chance of not developing hypertension is by following healthy lifestyle habits and maintaining ideal body weight. But the fact that you developed pre-hypertension at a young age shows that you have a tendency to have a higher blood pressure and an increased risk.

Hmmmmm this is concerning indeed I mean I live a pretty stressful life could this just be part of my mental illness

Not really, although it is a matter of perspective. People that are under stress are at increased risk for a wide variety of physical conditions, some acute and some chronic, but we typically do not consider the physical conditions to be part of the mental illness. It is usually considered that there is an interconnectedness between mental health and physical health, and each is part of the whole, but neither is a part of the other.

I see. Hmmm what are the chances of getting hypertension in my lifetime even if I reverse pfe hypertension now? Like clinical odds or statistics

There are many variables that affect someone's risk of developing hypertension during their lifetime. For all people, the baseline risk of developing hypertension is about 50% for people that live into their 60s. Your risk would be a few percentage points higher than the baseline risk.

My dad had bad high bp

That is one of the variables that affects your risk.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

How much can this variable affect my life time risk ?

There is about a 20% increase in risk because of hypertension in a parent.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

I was going for a brisk walk today for about ten mins and I felt some pain in my right chest not to bad I wasent breathless I do have anxiety disorder though

We cannot diagnose over the internet, but it is most likely that this is musculoskeletal pain.

I see I also have severe kyphosis could this raise my blood pressure?

Not directly. If there is any condition that causes pain, some people can have an increase in blood pressure from the pain, but there would not be a direct effect of the kyphosis.

Is most high bp causational? I just don't understand why I'm like this in the first place

No. In most people with high blood pressure, we do not know the underlying cause, so is considered essential hypertension or idiopathic hypertension.

Hmmmmmm how quickly can I reverse pre hyper tension with diet and exerscise

It varies, but can be as quick as a couple weeks.

Does masterbation count as a form of exerscise that can lower bp?

No

Can heart attack occur even in people with 15-30 percent blocked arteries ?

That is a different topic, but I will send an offer for more Q&A time.