Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I yawned and stretched and felt a heart palpitation, then I…

Customer Question
I yawned and stretched and...
I yawned and stretched and felt a heart palpitation, then I felt a pain in my upper stomach/lower chest. Almost like the heart palpitation was still happening, but my heart rhythm was normal. The pain went away after about 15 seconds. I’m concerned that this could be an aorta dissection. Should I be concerned or is that my anxiety kicking in? I went to the ER and they did a chest XRay and a stress test/echo. Blood work was normal. I’ve had some stomach and back pain on and off, sometimes sharp pain. My heart rate is 76bmp, and my BP is 140/82. SpO2 is 98%. Should I be concerned? How are the doctors so sure that it’s not a lower aorta problem without any abdominal scans?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cardiology
11/17/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Do you have any pain in between your shoulder?

Not currently, I’ve had some upper back pain.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. What you felt was just a muscular spasm and that's very common after yawning. It's not aortic dissection because;

1. Your blood pressure is near normal. In aortic dissection, it's supposed to be very high.

2. Your pulse is normal.

3. You don't have very severe interscapular pain which is prime feature of dissection.

5. you don't have abdominal pain and that rules out the abdominal aorta problem.

6. Your symptoms got better after sometime and that itself means that it's not serious because had it been aortic dissection, you should have persistent and progressive symptoms.

Because of all these points, your doctor haven't suspected anything serious. In the absence of the symptoms, there is no point even suspecting any problem in abdomen. I reassure you with 100% confidence that your doctors are right, you don't have anything serious so please don't stress yourself for something that you don't have. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor