Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Yesterday for lunch I had a cheeseburger and fries on an…

Customer Question
Yesterday for lunch I had...
Yesterday for lunch I had a cheeseburger and fries on an empty stomach. Shortly after I started burping a lot which eventually lead to pain underneath my jaw bone were you would feel your lymph nodes (see picture). Feels almost like a muscle cramp. Hours later I eventually took 2 gas x and 1 75mg Zantac to calm things down. By then I had a sore throat and the feeling of a lump in my throat and some minor chest discomfort. By 11pm I was better but left with a sore jaw. This morning I had no symptoms. Now it’s coming back, burping more, sore throat, chest discomfort, and my under jaw is sore again. I was reading online and it sounds like GERD to me but I kept coming across info on heart attack symptoms and now my anxiety has me worried. How do I know for sure what’s going on? And what is causing this under jaw pain?Some back info- I’m 26, female, have Irritable bowel syndrome, gallbladder removed, fibromyalgia, 6 months postpartum, and have frequent sour stomach symptoms. Since having my gallbladder removed I have to be careful what I eat especially on an empty stomach, although what bothers me one day won’t the next so it’s hard to manage symptoms. I recently was to clinic for heartburn and was told to take Zantac which I do and it usually helps.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cardiology
11/11/2017
Cardiologist: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Stan, thank you for your question. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 30 years of patient experience and I am here to help you today.

I'm sorry that you are concerned about this being a heart attack. Please try to relax, if this were a heart attack, your symptoms would be much worse and continuous by now.

You are correct in your diagnosis, it is most likely symptoms of GERD. The jaw pain is caused by the stomach acid coming up in your throat and irritating the tissue in the upper portion of your neck. Taking Zantac will help but, may I suggest your take Nexium daily to prevent the formation of excess stomach acids. May I assume you are not breast feeding. Nexium is considered to be safe but it does pass to your baby through breast milk. Nexium, a protein pump inhibitor takes about 72 hours to get into your system, so you may need the Zantac for a few more days.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

My upper back had been sore tonight too and still burping a lot. How long can these GERD flare ups last? It seems to improve when I lay down, that makes no sense. Shouldn’t t get worse? How Can I be sure it’s nothing more serious?

Please excuse my delayed response.

You don't have a gallbladder, so that is not the cause. Have you started the Nexium? The irritation from acid reflux can take several days to resolve. So the fact that you still have the throat pain is not something to be concerned about. You have no vomiting so that rules out obstruction, infection.

Please chew a few Tums or Rolaids or swallow 2 tablespoons of Gaviscon or Pepto Bismol to help relieve the throat irritation. Most important, relax, there is nothing serious going on and this will resolve soon.

At the very worst, you can discuss having endoscopy to view your upper GI system with your doctor. This will pass!

Any additional thoughts, questions?