Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I am wanting Evidence that Coal Mining and Idiopathic

Customer Question
Pulmonary Fibrosis ....
I am wanting Evidence that Coal Mining and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis .
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cardiology
11/11/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Saleem, Other replied 7 months ago
Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem, Other

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well coal dust can cause an inflammatory and allergic reaction in the lungs . If the exposure is prolonged and sustained it can lead to irreversible scarring of lungs . We call it complicated Pneumoconiosis which includes lung fibrosis itself.

When this system becomes overwhelmed, the dust-laden macrophages accumulate in the alveoli and may trigger an immune response. Fibroblasts involved in this response secrete reticulin causing scarring / fibrosis.

You can google Complicated Coal worker's Pneumoconiosis for more detail on the topic.

Hope it was useful.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.

Do you have any further queries ?