Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I don't have a cardiology question, but I don't see general…

I don't have a cardiology...
I don't have a cardiology question, but I don't see general medicine for a choice. I was walking a couple of days ago, turned over my ankle, and took a tumble. I landed on my elbow area, which swelled and hurt like the blazes. I also got an abrasion on my elbow, which actually occurred through the sleeve of my sweatshirt. I was thankful I had the sweatshirt on. It probably prevented it from being worse. Anyway, I thought my elbow might have been broken, so I drove myself to ER. The X-ray showed no break or dislocation. Thank goodness. The nurse practitioner said I had a bad contusion and suggested ice, elevation, and some time. I asked if I needed a tetanus shot. My 10 years will be up in 2018. She said for the little abrasion I had, that it wasn't at all necessary, and I could just wait for my booster at my GP next year. Now I'm worried that perhaps I should have had one, but I hate to second guess the medical provider. But I'm a very anxious person, and that's what I do!! Do I'm looking for reassurance that it's ok to wait until next year for my tetanus booster. Thank you,
10/19/2017
tazechip

Hello I'm Dr Chip

This wouldn't be considered a tetanus prone wound which would require a booster after 5 years of the previous booster

Your previous booster is still in effect for several months so I see no need for another one now

Please let me know if you need any more information

That eases my mind some. I was just concerned, because there were rocks and gravel where I fell and it seemed one part of the abrasion looked a little deeper than another part, although it's all scabbed over already after just 2 days. It seemed to me that something had to puncture through my sweatshirt sleeve to cause the abrasion. So after all of that, are you still of the opinion that I can wait until my annual physical next spring? I'd like to do that if I can.

That's really not a puncture wound--just an abrasion

It takes a puncture wound and the lack of oxygen deep inside it to allow the tetanus bacteria to grow

So that doesn't change my opinion--spring is plenty of time for you next booster

Thank you so much. Then I'm setting this on the back burner until next year's physical. Thank you again!

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

tazechip
tazechip
tazechip
tazechip, MD