Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I had a question about pvc's. I've seen 4 doctors since

Hi JA: Hello. How can I...
Hi
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I had a question about pvc's
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I've seen 4 doctors since 1998, I don't take meds, all tests i.e stress test, stress echo, 1 week halter, 1 month halter
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well I'm 6'1 255lbs, always great blood pressure, low crp, normal bloodwork, no drugs, no smoking, no drinking
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?
Customer: Last cardiovascular checkup 2 years ago, that's when I had the 1 month halter
10/17/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Please ask your question regarding PVC's

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I'm still afraid after 19 years that they will give me cardiac arrest, I'm at Disneyland and yesterday I was fine all day, but right before a fast ride I started getting pvc/ palpitations from fear and didn't get on, and felt quite embarrassed

How frequent are your PVCs? what did the holter monitor result show? How many PVCs per day? And were any of them bigeminy or trigeminy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can go weeks with zero, a bad day less than 100 because I feel them 100% if they happen, the 1 month halter said I had a normal sinus rhythm with an occasional extra beat from the upper chamber. I was told I didn't need to go back just reduce caffeine and my weight, I really haven't done neither, but my bloodwork and bp are excellent, always
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As soon as I didn't get on the ride they went away

Actually, if your PVCs are this infrequent and they occur only occasionally then it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that they will lead to the development of sudden cardiac arrest. The chances of you developing an arrhythmia or serious issues like cardiac arrest would have been much more , had you more than 20,000 PVCs in a single day or had frequent runs of bigeminy or trigeminy. Since that is not the case then your PVCs are likely triggered by anxiety and stress as well as the other factors which have been mentioned to you by your doctor.

Caffeine MUST be eliminated or cut down to just one cup a day so that the frequenct is reduced even further. Anxiety can be controlled which can be done with meditation, yoga or even cognitive behavioural therapy. Once the anxiety is controlled im sure that even these current infrequent attacks would be eliminated.

But even right now, your chances of developing cardiac arrest are actually so neglible i would consider them as being zero. If you have not had any serious event in the last 19 years and all of your cardiac workup is normal, then i dont THINK that you are at risk for cardiac arrest AT ALL!.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But what if I'm having them and I get on a ride, will they just keep going? It wasn't even a extreme coaster or anything, it was a car ride that goes 40mph,I just got scared , and mostly embarrassed because my wife and kids got on and I walked off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your advice I appreciate it

If you are having them on a coster or a ride, they will persist for a short period of time and then resolve on their own. The problem is not the PVCs but rather the anxiety which triggers them and that is why i think controlling the anxiety will control the PVCs as well.

You're welcome, do remember to leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In closing I've attached a response regarding the 30 day holtor from my doctor from the last test for your review

Thanks for the chart,

Actually your doctor essentially has the same view as me, which is that given the infrequent nature of the PVCs and the absence of severe symptoms, they dont need to be directly treated with beta blockers. All that is needed are measures which i have described above.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will work on weight loss and zero caffeine have a great day

Hope you have a great day as well, best of luck!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist