Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

What is a heart murmer and what causes it? Some family

What is a heart...

What is a heart murmer and what causes it?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Some family history. High blood pressure lately

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing

10/12/2017
DrDLove

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

A heart murmur is a rumbling type of sound that is sometimes heard when listening to the heart.

Some heart murmurs are simply due to very dynamic blood flow in a normal heart, which is called a physiologic murmur, and is completely benign. However, heart murmurs also can happen when there are problems with one or more of the valves of the heart. If a heart valve gets too tight or leaks, then it can cause a heart murmur.

The doctor may be able to determine the cause of the murmur by how it sounds when listening to the heart. However, it also may require an echocardiogram to assess the heart, which uses sound waves to take pictures of the heart.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

DrDLove