Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I have been taking 3.125 mg of carvedilol twice a day for…

I have been taking 3.125...
I have been taking 3.125 mg of carvedilol twice a day for about five years. I am scheduled for dental surgery next week. The dentist has asked that I stop taking the carvedilol 3 days prior to the surgery. I am a type 2 diabetic. I have not been able to get ahold of my cardiologist. I am 71 and my sugar is in good control last aic 7.6. I can check my sugar as often as I need be. How serious is my risk if I stop the carveidolol for three days. Or if I continur to take it what would the downside risk be. Please help with your input,
10/10/2017
Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem, Other

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well any surgery or dental procedure using anaesthestic agents can lead to dangerously low blood pressure while on beta blockers so thats why its adviseable to discontinue this prior to any such procedure.

However stopping it cold turkey can be risky and you need to start tapering it now for next week till your procedure. Cut it down to single tablet for 3 days , half tablet for 2 days and then nothing for next 2-3 days. You can start it back as soon as you are donw with the dental procedure.

I hope it answers your query.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Regards.

Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem, Other
Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem
Dr. Saleem, Other