Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

What can be done for a severe heart murmur. There is a

Customer Question
what can be done for...
what can be done for a severe heart murmur
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Yes there is a family history. I am fairly heathy other than I have diabeies
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've had two mini strokes,, one just lately, but no paralysis, a bit off dementia, but I am 94 years old
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cardiology
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually heart murmur occur due to VARIOUS heart conditions including various valvular disease as well as other structural lesions in the heart, so it would be helpful if you can upload the echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) which you would havd done and that way i can be more specific in giving you information about the treatment options.

I have not had my echocardiogram yet

Ok then let me write down an answer and ill get back to you ina few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

As i said earlier a heart murmur basically arises because of structural cardiac issue, this means you could have a valve in the heart which is too narrow or a valve which is leaking blood back into a chamber. in either of these conditions, the treatment would depend on the SEVERITY of the condition as well as the symptoms. For example if your aortic valve is too narrow and you are alos experiencing chest pain, shortness of breath, fainting spells then the treatment would be IMMEDIATE surgery to open up the valve or even to replace it however if there are no symptoms then it would just be monitored with repeated echocardiograms over the period of the next 12-24 months to see if it getting worse or not. In the meantime medications would be started to reduce the stress on the valve and prevent it from worsening.

Similarly in case of a leaky valve, if it is severe then it would be treated with surgery to replace the valve and you would be given diuretics to reduce the strain on the heart along with beta blockers and ACE inhibitors.

In case the murmur is due to another condition like anemia or thyroid disease then no treatment is necessaruy for murmur but rather the underlying cause would be treated and the murmur would disappear.

So the first step here would be to get an echocardiogram done so we can determine the exact problem and its severity.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist