Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

Mom, 79, has type 2 diabetes and a right block of the heart.

Customer Question
mom, 79, has type 2...
mom, 79, has type 2 diabetes and a right bundle block of the heart. she has swelling of ankles, pain at bottom of her feet and swelling of fingers. unsure if it is related to her diabetes or her heart condition. she is afraid to take a stress test or receive the pharma injection to stimulate her heart (for testing purposes). she is also on 2pts. oxygen. are there other tests a cardio can perform to isolate the cause of the swelling so as to prescribe appropriate medication?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cardiology
10/3/2017
Cardiologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

there are really two basic ways to perform a cardiac stress test of the heart. One is thru exercise and the other one requires an injection of medication to speed up the heart to simulate exercise. Both tests allow the cardiologist to see how the heart responds with a higher heart rate.

Has she spoken to the cardiologist or her doctor about her concerns?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he stated he preferred her to take the treadmill test (walking) rather than the injection.

that would be most reasonable, especially if she has concerns about the injectable medications.

Would she be willing to do the treadmill test?

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD