Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Tbus happened a few times seems to be getting wirse tho when…

Customer Question
Tbus happened a few times...
Tbus happened a few times seems to be getting wirse tho when it happens,i been Getting these spasms in my calf mainly the right side only, like ill be laying in bed ill point my foot downward sort of to crack my ankle and ill.get an extreme pain and cramp in calf muscle and just now ut was like an.immediate knot/lump.formed bur then it went away prettt quick.too after masaging area ir formed in ,pain also went away but im.curious as to what causing this never used to happen but niw since like a year or so ago it been haopening?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cardiology
9/30/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the commonest cause of recurrent muscle spasms can be an electrolyte imbalance such as chronic calcium deficiency or magnesium deficiency or even potassium deficiency, it is possible that you are losing any of these lecetrolytes from your body constantly and develop recurrent deficiencies however at the same time it could be because of a hormonal issue. The best way to determine if this is the cause would be to get a blood test done to determine if this is the case, In the meantime start drinking daily electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade which can help avoid this problem in the short term. At the same time cut back on caffeine and alcohol which precipitate these spasms.

Another common cause can be compression of the nerves either in the back or in the leg itself which can commonly lead to this problem as well. This would need to be diagnosed with a NCS/EMG test and also with the help of MRI of the lower back if necessary.

Lastly inadequate blood supply to the legs because of conditions like peripheral arterial disease can be considered in which you can also experience pain, numbness, tingling, change in temperature of the limb in severe cases. A doppler ultrasound would be diagnostic in this situation.

Now if all of these are ruled out then i would consider restless legs syndrome which can sometimes present with spasms only and that too mostly at night time however i would first like the above causes to be ruled out and i would suggest that you discuss these options with your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Sounds a bit complicated leg back of calf still botgering me it spasms not as much as in morning where i can't move it and it cringes and gets stiff and stuck in a position is there anything i can take or do in the meantime to relieve symtpoms st josephs blood thinning pills?advil stretch etc? Im.worried its a clot i been bretahless last week or so and my right calf the rear side cringes spasms a lpt soemtimes to the point my toes curl and get stuck in that curled position

You can use the morning,

1) Electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade on a daily basis

2) OTC ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily

3) OTC capsiacin gel on the are

4) Supplements such as

• Omega 3 fatty acids
  • Vitamin B12 supplements
  • Folate supplements
  • Alpha lipoic acid
  • Acetyl-L-carnitine
  • L-Arginine

These will help in managing your symptoms until you get evaluated however it is NOT a clot as if it was a clot then you would have significant swelling of the calf along with raised temperature in the region.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.