Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a doppler this week and have peripheral artery

Customer Question
I had a doppler...

I had a doppler this week and have peripheral artery disease. I have 3 stents in my coronary arteries which have kept me well for 12 years now. I see my cardiologist every 6 months. Can PAD cause me to have a heart attack?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any shortness of breath or chest pain? Is there a history of heart disease in your family?

No shortness of breath or pain. I am adopted so don't know about medical history.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I keep very well and have had no issues with my coronary heart disease since the stents 12 years ago.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cardiology
9/29/2017
Cardiologist: DrDLove, MD replied 10 months ago
DrDLove

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

PAD will only indirectly cause you to have a heart attack.

People with PAD are at increased risk of having a heart attack, but this is primarily due to the act that the underlying condition that causes PAD (atherosclerosis) also causes ischemic heart disease and heart attacks. The usual approach to a person that presents with PAD as the initial manifestation of atherosclerosis is to also assess the possibility of heart disease. However, in your case, in which you are already known to have heart disease and it is already being appropriately managed and monitored, the fact that you are now found to have PAD does not have the same significance.

The PAD also can affect heart attack risk if the PAD is of such severity that it impacts activity and exercise levels. Exercise helps to lower heart attack risk, and conversely, lack of exercise has a higher risk. If the PAD causes the individual to be unable to exercise or limits the ability to exercise, then there is an indirect increase in heart attack risk. If the PAD can be managed so that there is no adverse impact on exercise, then there would not be this risk.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.