Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Pacemaker set at 65...rate averaging at 80. why. it has

Customer Question
pacemaker set at 65...rate...

pacemaker set at 65...rate averaging at 80. why. it has always been at the 65 setting un til today. siux readings were 80 or above. please reply.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Carvidalol 25mg at breakfast and bed, and hydralazine 25 to 50 mg if my heart rate exceeds 150/90 arounbd midday.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Diabetes...under control, generally, for years with novalog 3 or 4 times daily and around 15 mg of lkantus at bed

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cardiology
9/24/2017
Cardiologist: DrDLove, MD replied 10 months ago
DrDLove

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There are many possible explanations to why your heart rate is averaging 80.

A pacemaker will only fire when the heart rate is below a certain threshold as set by your doctor (65 in your case). But whenever the heart rate is above that threshold, the heart will beat at whatever rate is present.

A normal person will have a varying heart rate. The normal range for the resting heart rate is stated to be 60-100, but some people have resting heart rate in the 50s. For a person that needs a pacemaker, the heart rate is too low. This can happen frequently or only occasionally, depending upon how that individual is affected. But just as a normal person may have a varying resting heart rate, someone with a pacemaker may also have a varying resting heart rate. And if the heart rate on a certain day is around 80, then the heart will beat at that heart rate, and the pacemaker will remain inactive until the heart rate gets below the threshold.

It is also true that there are situations that may cause an increase in heart rate. For a normal person, that may increase the heart rate above 100. And for a person with a pacemaker that is typically always active, one of these situations can cause the heart rate to get above the threshold, so that the pacemaker does not fire. The most common situation is exertion, as the heart rate would be expected to increase with exertion. So, if you have been involved in a greater amount of activity today, that could cause an increase in heart rate. The heart rate can also increase when someone is anxious (for any reason). The heart rate can increase when a person is slightly low in hydration status, even if not truly dehydrated, so any condition that affects hydration status can cause an increased heart rate, such as a simple viral infection. You say that the diabetes is under control, but if there is a day in which your blood sugar is running higher than your usual level, it can cause fluid loss in the urine and decrease your hydration status.

In all of these situations, the heart rate will not increase as much in a person on a beta-blocker, such as the carvedilol, but it will still increase.

Therefore, if you have an occasional day in which your heart rate is 80, then it is likely that this is just normal variability. But if it is rare for you to have a heart rate above 65, it would be appropriate to perform a general health assessment looking for any of the situations or conditions noted above. if nothing is apparent, it is appropriate to increase fluid intake to see if the heart rate returns to your baseline.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.