Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I have high blood pressure and take daily at bedtime; 100 mg…

Customer Question
I have high blood pressure...
I have high blood pressure and take daily at bedtime;
100 mg Metoprolol Succinate
10 mg LisinoprilRecently, my family doctor prescribed me Cialis 5 mg for erectile dysfunction seemingly caused by the beta blocker blood pressure medication.I keep reading online combining Cialis with the above medications can lower BP. I have not taken the Cialis yet due to this. I have lost close to 60 pounds since January so my BP is now averaging 125/75 from 140/90.So my question is; if I take the 5 mg of Cialis, how much further will it drop my BP. Are these medications safe to take together? Also with my BP at 125/75, would it be feasible to ween off of the beta blocker which I read causes the sexual issues. And if I do, what is the best way to get off beta blockers?Please advise.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cardiology
9/16/2017
Cardiologist: tazechip, MD replied 11 months ago
tazechip

Hello I'm Dr Chip

1) That dose of Cialis really won't drop your pressure at all--or, at most, two or three points, so it's safe for you

2) It would be reasonable to try to wean off the metoprolol--but not stop it cold turkey--over about a week's time

Please let me know if you need any more information

How would you suggest weaning off of it and also, how often should I monitor by BP once I am weaning and off completely?

I would drop you to 50 mg at bedtime for a week and then 25 mg for another week

You'd need to check your pressure every other day during that time and then twice weekly thereafter