tazechip
tazechip, MD
Experience:  Yeard of experience in Critical Care Medicine
18722459

I'm 40 years old. I've been experiencing some heart

Customer Question

Hi. I'm 40 years old. I've been experiencing some heart palpitations over the past week. Not a flutter but more like thud or thump in the chest, like a skipped beat almost. The only risk factor I have is family history due to my father not taking care of himself with drinking, smoking and diabetes and he had a heart attack which killed him. I don't smoke, drink on occasion and don't have diabetes. My Full CBC is normal, however my iron was low, around 18 back in July. I had one infusion and am scheduled for another one the end of the month. This was due to an anal fissure and hemorrhoids (diagnosed) that were bleeding all the time. I have stopped the bleeding with maybe a slight streak of blood on the toilet paper once in a blue moon depending on what I eat. I had a full cardio work up in 2009 and 2011, with an angiogram done in 2011. The results were negative. I'm a little concerned about these palpitations. I have had anxiety in the past but I have not had a panic attack in a few months. Should I worry?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How often do these occur?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Been happening for a week. More often today and on Monday but less on Tuesday. I did cut back on drinking tea in the AM but had a diet soda this afternoon.
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 month ago.

And how many of them do you have in, say, a minute's time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Once or twice an hour when it was bad but on a good day I may have had only a few.
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 month ago.

OK

Nothing too serious here

These are premature atrial contractions and it's not a dangerous rhythm problem and it isn't a threatened heart attack

Many people have them

Sometimes caffeine can cause them but they can also signal an electrolyte imba***** *****ke low potassium, magnesium, or calcium

You need to see your doctor for this to get an EKG and some blood work

If necessary they can be treated with either a beta blocker like propranolol or a calcium channel blocker like verapamil

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How would I know if it was a dangerous rhythm problem or an impending heart attack?
My blood work indicated low phosphorus from July. Could that cause it too? Or could it be the anemia?
Expert:  tazechip replied 1 month ago.

It could be the anemia yes

A dangerous rhythm would be a sudden very rapid rise in your pulse rate or many skipped beats back to back

But this is an electrical problem with your heart and not a coronary artery blood flow problem so it isn't going to give you a heart attack