Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

I suffer from anxiety and panick disorder for many many

Customer Question
Hello I suffer from anxiety...
Hello I suffer from anxiety and panick disorder for many many years .it's mostly health ,fears .my fears r heart attacks .as with anxiety u always short of breath .I also suffer from stomach problems .this January I went through battery of tests because I was feeling really bad which included numerous EKGs , echo,stress test ,for stomach I had ct with contrast, barium swallow, upper endoscopy.theu found reflux ,hernia , diverticulitis.for heart testing they said I was deconditioned.now I woke up with my chest burning ,and pressure ,and when I sit I burp and it's so much acid comes up and very loud gassy sounds from stomach.so my anxiety is high because I think I am dying
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cardiology
I would appreciate if some one replied as soon as possible thank you
9/11/2017
Cardiologist: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.From the description of your symptoms ,it would appear that you are suffering from Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD) with panic attacks. GAD is often seen where there are a multitude of unconnected/unexplained symptoms with a lot of stress and anxiety.You can discuss this matter with your PCP/Doctor who can request a psychiatric consultation.This problem can be dealt with drugs like SSRIs/Venlafaxine or Duoloxetine and Tricyclic Antidepressants/Cloimipramine and anxiolytic drugs like Lorazepam/Clonazepam. Counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy(CBT) along with the medication usually gives the best results and most patients recover upto 90% normalcy in their lives.It would be prudent to discuss this with your doctor.

My question was I woke up now with lots of burning in chest and pressure and when I was burping it was alot of acid coming up .so my biggest concern is heart
I already take Zoloft and clonopin.

The burning in the chest with acid reflux is the GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease) playing up.If you have a hiatal hernia you may need to stay erect for about an hour after meals,avoid citrus fruits/tomatoes/red meat/colas .The burning in the chest would be due to oesophagitis as all previous ECGs would be normal.It would help get another ECG if it helps remove your doubt .

But if I had numerous EKGs ,echo with divinity ,stress test all came back normal just was told I was deconditioned.it was all done in January what r the chances the heart would go bad from January to now .and yes I will be honest my diet alot of times not the best

If you have a deconditioned heart with a medical condition like cardiac insufficiency/cardiomyopathy,there is an outside chance that this could be a cardiac issue.I t may accompany or mimic a GERD condition.

I am sorry I didn't understand .I told my cardiac testing were good no disease was found .what they mean by deconditioned is they told me I need to exercise as I don't exercise .that is why I asked u what r the chances .

The phrase deconditioned heart denotes a heart which is out of condition ,this may include mild cardiac insufficiency and cardiomyopathy.If allit meant was that you are physically out of condition,then there is little possibility of a cardiac condition developing over the period.

u was told by all cardiac testing no disease us found. When I was doing stress test at certain speeds I was out of breath so they told me they saw the heart was beating properly and no abnormalities were found at the time when I was out if breath it showed to them I need to exercise

I hope you will gradually start exercising as advised.

But basef on good cardiac testing less then a year ago what r the chances for a 39 year old to have a heart attacks

Practically none.