Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Does my ecg show diastolic dysfunction? I keep getting a

Customer Question

Does my ecg show diastolic dysfunction ? I keep getting a resting diastolic of between 57-49 !
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Saleem replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well there is poor R wave progression so definitely indicative of some past cardiac event such as an anterior wall MI. This can also be caused by right ventricular or left ventricular enlargement.

You will need to see your cardiologist for clinical examination and further assessment with echocardiography.

hope it answered your query.

Feel free to ask any further queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have mitral and tricuspid prolapsed valves
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Love, a different expert.

The EKG does not show V4, V5, or V6.

Can you attach a picture of the EKG that includes these leads?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My cardiologist saying nothing wrong I do have mitral and tricuspid prolapsed valves
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

With the addition of leads V4, V5, and V6, the R waves progress well, so the small R waves in V1, V2, and V3 is not worrisome.

This EKG does not look abnormal. However, the EKG is mnot a good test to identify diastolic dysfunction. The assessment for diastolic dysfunction is based on the findings on physical examination and on echocardiography.

Mitral and tricuspid valve prolapse typically do not cause diastolic dysfunction, but the echocardiogram that shows the prolapse would also be the best test to identify whether there is diastolic dysfunction.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
for sure no mi happened
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I read that p wave can show diastolic dysfunction
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

There is no EKG evidence of an MI. There are other tests for MI that are more accurate than an EKG for diagnosing an MI, but there is no EKG evidence of an MI.

There can be changes in the P wave on EKG with diastolic dysfunction, but normal P waves do not prove that diastolic dysfunction is not present. In your case, the P waves are normal.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do I worry my diastolic when resting has gone as low as 50 with normal systolic however it does change and go to the 70's and 80's
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry for the delay, but the system did not notify me that you had responded.

I assume that you mean diastolic blood pressure, which is a vastly different thing than diastolic dysfunction. Diastolic blood pressure does not reflect diastolic function of the heart. It is more of a reflection of arterial tone. But a diastolic blood pressure in the 50s is generally not a problem if there are no associated symptoms.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why so low then
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

Some people have lower blood pressure than others, but if it not causing symptoms, it is generally not an issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had one ankle swell a tiny bit yesterday but it's 90 degrees outside and I was walking outside is that normal
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
enlarged vein at the ankle after walking in heat
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

It is common to have some ankle swelling in the heat. A vein over the ankle can be enlarged even without the heat.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I shouldn't freak over it
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

No, you shouldn't freak over it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for our help are you a general cardiologist or specialize in something else
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

I am a Family Physician that has received additional training in cardiology.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well you were wonderful and calmed me down I was in severe panic
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

Very good. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I spoke to my cardiologist my echo last year was fine we discussed diastolic dysfunction he said everyone over age 50 has some level of diastolic dysfunction is that correct
Expert:  DrDLove replied 2 months ago.

Part of this is semantic. There is a steady increase in stiffness of the walls of the ventricle that occurs with aging, and this stiffness can be seen with certain changes on the echocardiogramuring early diastole. This is what he is referencing when he says that some level of diastolic dysfunction is seen in everyone that is over age 50. However, a clinical diagnosis of diastolic dysfunction is usually only made when there is a significant impact on heart function, and that is not present in everyone over age 50.

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.
The other expert has opted out. Do you have any other questions which I can help you with?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer,

You have requested a new expert. What is your concern?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have mitral and tricuspid prolapsed valve found out had two chronic tooth infections . They have been treated and I was told they weren't too bad . My diastolic has been anywhere from 49 to 83 in the last few months . Scared I have bacterial endocarditis . Never had fever white count normal

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

A fever and increase in white cell count are commonly seen in infective endocarditis. You can do an ESR test which is elevated in almost 90% of cases of infective endocarditis. But you don't require any tests since your symptoms or signs are not concerning for an infective endocarditis. You should relax and not worry about this cause since this is not possible in absence of symptoms and concerning results of blood tests. In absence of concerning symptoms, you should not worry about the occasional low diastolic blood pressure.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My blood work showed slight anemia I know that can be a symptom

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

It will not cause an isolated anemia, but moderate anemia along with an obvious increase in WBC count. There is no reason to suspect bacterial endocarditis due to these results.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What about subacute endocarditis

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Even this is not a possibility here in absence of concerning symptoms and blood results. A normal white blood cell count is very reassuring and a strong indicator that you are not suffering from a bacterial infection anywhere in your body.

Take care.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Disatolic is low more times than not like in 50's can taking Ativan cause that

Dear customer,

Did I answer your previous question about the possibility of endocarditis? Please reply.

Thank you.

Ativan can certainly lower the blood pressure and also enhance the blood pressure lowering effect of medicines that lower blood pressure.

Take care.

Thank you.

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Do you have any further questions?
Thank you.

Dear customer,

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would like a cardiologist