Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

How screwed am I at 37 if I feel breathless like how

Customer Question
irreversible is this after 20...
How screwed am I at 37 if I feel breathless like how irreversible is this after 20 years of smoking the last 12 pretty heavy ? How can I ser how bad yhe famage done thus far really is ?tests specialist etc I assume pulmonologist ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cardiology
7/28/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually given your history of smoking, there are two major possibilities here. One is that you may have damaged the lungs, the other is that you could have damaged the heart. Both can lead to breathlessness especially on exertion. Now regarding the lungs, if you have been smoking for 20 years then the most likely scenario is that you could have developed some form of COPD which is causing the shortness of breath. However even with 20 years of smoking the damage is not likely to be end stage but it is more likely to be in the early stages or advanced to a moderate stage. This could be emphysema or bronchitis etc. The best way to determine how severe the damage is to get the following tests done,

• Clinical examination in which your doctor listens to your chest
  • Chest xray
  • Spirometry
  • CT scan of the lungs
  • The above tests should be done in the order i have described above, these tests will adequately determine the extent of the damage and you can be started on treatment for the problem as well

The other possibility is that you could have damaged the heart, heart failure can sometuimes develop even at this age and usually a EKG and a echocardiogram is enough to diagnose the problem

But i would suggest that you DO first see a pulmonologist and have this evaluated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist