Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I take Diltiazem 120 mg. I have been on for about 3 months

now. I was put on...
I take Diltiazem 120 mg. I have been on for about 3 months now. I was put on this medication for episodes of sinus tachycardia 112-130 heart rate that was lasting hours at a time. When I first started on the medication my resting heart rate was in the low 70's, but in the last month or so I have noticed my resting is low 60's. Tonight it is 63. This probably means while I sleep it is going below 60. Is it possible that it can slow down so much when you sleep that you could go into cardiac arrest? I would think when you sleep you wouldn't feel the symptoms and that could be dangerous. What are your thoughts on this? It seems like when my heart is slower I feel more heavy chested. Is this normal? Just fyi blood pressure is in normal range, not too low.
5/20/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

No this is actually very good

This is right where we want it

is this helpful?

what happens when I sleep does it go too low?

no it will drop into the 50s but that is normal

Would this reduced rate cause heaviness in my in my airways?

no it would not

can this drug affect my heart's efficiency over along term? I am concerned when it says reduces contractability that this would actually weaken my heart over time. Not sure if I really needed to be on this, according to my dr I didn't have a dangerous type of tachy. It was just the attacks I did have reved up my entire system for hours. I would get these attacks for 15 hours at a time. My dr thought I was adrenergenic. Came on suddenly but had 3 attacks per week. I think it related to menopause. Because I also have high bp, he took me off hydrochlorathiazide and replaced with this, which I take with Losartan.

No it absolutely cannot

it is totally safe

if I take this the rest of my life, it wouldn't eventually cause heart block? I know they say as you get older, side effects are greater.

No it would not

Let me ask you another question related to this. I may have to have future procedures done requiring conscious sedation. I am very sensitive to meds. I took a Xanax once for sleep and had to take only 1/4 of pill and it still worked for sleep. My concern is over versed and fentanyl combo. I was reading that diltiazem interacts with this. It seems that diltiazem interacts with a lot of things. What do you think?

They will monitor you closely

Do you know how many people on CCBs and beta blockers have sedation every day? Probably thousands.

I was thinking that too. I have never done sedation, so I am always nervous about it. I have been told I have small airways and small mouth and throat so they would have trouble intubating me if I were to have general anesthesia. I even use pediatric dental xrays. Anyway, this always has really scared me. Add into that being on ccb and that just created more worry. Do they still use this combo with people on ccb or do they use propofol?

They usually use propofol

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor