Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS/MRCP U.K(R), Senior Registrar Cardiology
16248889

If you have breast implants how can that affect having an

Customer Question

If you have breast implants how can that affect having an ICD difibrulator implanted? Is under the muscle still an option if the implants are under the muscle? My implants were done in 18yrs ago...I'm horrified by the thought of a ICD showing and it looks like I'm headed towards an implant after my medication to strengthen my heart plateaus. I've read about "mini ICDs" but not sure how small the units have become. Some of the pictures are just awful online.
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you have concerns about getting an ICD implanted.

The unit is placed at the top of the breast under the skin and a little to the right of the left armpit. The unit itself is about 1 1/4 inches by 1 1/4 inches by 1/2 inch deep. The unit may be slightly visible depending on your upper body frame. If you are very thin, it will be more visible, if not very thin, you will hardly notice it.

I hope this is helpful.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

Yes, you can have one implanted with breast implants.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I read about two methods of implantation, under muscle or just under skin. Did they discontinue the method of under muscular tissue?When is the use of "mimi ICDs" applicable?