DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I am concerned about Heart Failure (due to excess alcohol

Customer Question

I am concerned about Heart Failure (due to excess alcohol and cocaine in my past) and the main symptom is a feeling of tight neck veins (made worse by a glass of wine and anxiety). I also think my neck veins maybe more distended (although perhaps I am imagining this!). I have attached 2 photos. I also had some breathlessness after a heavy weekend, but this has generally improved.I have had 2 x ECG (both OK) and I had my NTPro BNP tested and it is 54 ng/L. The normal range is <400 ng/L.However, I am taking propanalol (2 x 10mg a day) and I have read that this can reduce the BNP. By how much could this reduce my BNP? I am wondering whether I need to refrain from the propanalol and have my BNP retested?Also, my C Reactive Protein is 0.3 mg/L (normal 0.0 - 5.0).
My HDL is high at 2.1 mmol/LAny feedback would be appreciated. Do you think I need to do any further follow up investigations (echo, etc)?Thank you very much
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Thanks for asking

Considering the symptoms you have specially breathlessness I would not mind doing further investigations like an echo. I could not find any abnormal vein on your attached picture. Treatment of heart failure can lower the BNP level so it can be a possibility but in your case the levels are very low so I will not worry. So you should have an echo for further evaluation

Good luck

I am available and happy to assist you any further if you do need any further clarification on this

Do feel free to ask for any further information till you are satisfied that I have provided you with a 5 star rating service.

Regards

Do you have anything else to ask ?

If done please leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK so that I may be credited

Regards