Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

I have been experiencing episodes within the last 5 months

Customer Question
of sinus tachycardia. Stress echo...
I have been experiencing episodes within the last 5 months of sinus tachycardia. Stress echo was normal. Drs aren't sure of the cause. Most of the time it comes on for no reason. Sometimes, rarely it can start up if I get bad news or something scares me. Most of the time it just happens for no reason. A few weeks ago I received one of those scam calls late at night which scared me and set the heart off up to 160. That was the highest point. I also felt a 6 beat run of something strange which turned out to be Atrial Tachycardia. I happen to have a 48 hour holter on. So all of this time it has just been sinus tachy, but this one night when I was really scared I had this 6 beat run of Atrial Tachy. Never had this before. What does this mean when it shifts from sinus tachy to atrial tachy? Is it possible that this could lead to something even more dangerous? Also when I had the sinus episodes in the past they tend to last 15 hours or so. Why does it last so long? Is it possible that I am having a huge adrenalin surge and it takes that long for it to calm down? When it lasted for 15 hours it would range from 109-130. Today I was driving and made a wrong turn and ended up lost which caused my heart to go fast and I felt like I had the Atrial tachy again. I feel like the sinus tach is leading into another arrhythmia. Took altenolol which cause me to have shortness of breath. I am now on Diltiazem 120 mg which doesn't work as well, but may work somewhat. Doesn't seem to stop the heart from going fast from being frightened, but does help the daily episodes. What are your thoughts on this?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cardiology
3/3/2017
Cardiologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

This sounds like anxiety to me

Are you being treated for that?

No. This all just came out of the blue? Can you answer my questions about going from sinus tachy to atrial tachy?

These are not concerning at all

A short run of atrial tach is nothing to worry about

Since I normally experience sinus but the last few times it has turned into atrial, does this mean that it can progress to atrial fibrillation or another type that is more serious? My mom had atrial fib.
Also every dr I see says this isn't dangerous, but I am reading that prolonged elevated heart rate can cause tachy induced cardiomyopathy. Is this accurate? Drs. don't tell me that part.

It would have to be high for months to do this

Also, how come the tachycardia can last up to 15 hours ? It seems once it gets started it has trouble going back to normal.

No it doesn't mean that it will progress to a fib

Your adrenaline is pumping the whole time and it stays up

I have read that most panic attacks only last 1 hour. Do you think having the heart rate up for more than several hours is actually anxiety attack or could something else be causing this?

I don't think it is anything else

you just have a high anxiety level all the time

Is atrial tachycardia also called supraventricular tachycardia? Why is this different from sinus tachycardia?

I think I should opt out for another expert

I think another expert will be able to tell you the difference better than I can

Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed
Dr .Saeed ahmed, Doctor