Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My husband was a very healthy 57 year old man that died

Customer Question

My husband was a very healthy 57 year old man that died recently of Cardio pulmonary arrest 2 degree septic shock that is what is listed as cause on his death certificate. We are currently waiting for all of his medical records from the urgent care and the hospital however after his death we were informed that he had tested in the ICU positive for Group A strep by the county CDC is this normal practice?
Also the day before his death (approximately 24 hours prior) he was seen by his Dr. (GP) who put him through a battery of blood & urine tests that came back negative for bacteria, he had a high fever and a terrible pain in his lower back they just sent him home with pain killers is this normal protocol?
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your husband's untimely demise. I am sure this is a big loss to the entire family.

Testing positive for bacteria in ICU is the normal protocol, and the reports do take time to come (generally 48-72 hours after the sample is drawn).

As far as the GP is concerned, the tests done are less sensitive and specific, and if these are normal, it is quite possible that the early signs of bacteremia can be missed.

While there was a missed diagnosis in hindsight, I am not sure what else could have been done if the physical examination and test results were normal to begin with,

I do understand that this may not be the answer that you are looking for, but I do believe that it is likely an accurate one,

Warm regards

Dr Gupta, MD