Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have been dealing with some issues here lately which have

Customer Question

Hello, I have been dealing with some issues here lately which have been concerning me.
I am of course not a doctor, so I do not know what the issue is, I can only read about other conditions and speculate. I am concerned about Pericarditis and Myocarditis, alcoholic cardiomyopathy, or a blood clot.My health history:
-36 Years old
-Smoker (though I have been trying to quit)
-Daily drinker (average 4 beers, only past couple years)
-Sedentary life style
-Poor eating habits (though I have been much better the past month)
-Drank soda instead of water for a decade (have cut out soda and now drink water, for the last couple months)
-Rarely exercise
-Slender build, but have a large, hard to the touch pot belly
-Poor teeth hygiene (in part because of so much soda)
-Untreated sleep apneaMy issue:
-Constant pain in my chest for the last month, has gotten worse over the last couple weeks-Pain located in left side of sternum
-Pain also in left lower breast
-Pain can radiate through all of left chest area-Pain is generally an ache
-Pain can also be squeezing or stabbing in center of chest and left side of chest
-Pain can move into the left arm, but is very infrequent. When pain moves into
the arm, fingers have a radiating pain and pressure-Pain worsens when laying down, unable to lay on my left side, too severe
-When laying down, stabbing feeling can happen in feet, abdomen, and groin
-Pain does not worsen when breathing deeply, bending over, or pressing on the chest-During these weeks have felt very fatigued, weak, and get winded easily under mild exertion
-Occasionally, the right side of my right thigh goes numb, like the skin falls asleep. This only last for a few minutes.-Two "episodes" have happened on separate days. Had the pain of course, but also felt light headed and nauseous, like a sudden onset of flu.
Both times was driven to ER, but did not go in, as the issue subsided.
-After both incidents, felt very weak and "hollow" for a day afterwardA few more notes:
-Had previously gone to the ER twice over last few years, with what was likely panic attacks (sudden onset of feeling breathless, followed by cold sweat and shaking, and a panicky feeling)
-Over the course of the year have often felt like I had breathing difficulty, went to doctor but they did nothing for it, I thought possible COPD due to smoking
-I have had chest pain similar to this occasionally over the last year, however it has never lasted more than a week, nor have I had any "episodes" as mentioned above, and the pain never happened when laying down (at least not to a disruptive point)
-What has been occurring has not been anxiety, anxiety has never made me weak or fatigued
-Not an indigestion issue, as I have been taking Prilosec daily for a half year now
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating neurological & all health conditions including heart diseases and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I have carefully analysed each and every piece of information you have provided above and I strongly feel your symptoms are not secondary to anything serious in nature.

You have mentioned conditions like pericarditis, myocarditis, alcoholic myopathy or a blood clot etc but your symptoms and the pattern of these symptoms are not suspicious for these conditions

While I understand you feel this is not the way you had experienced anxiety related manifestations before, and also you feel it was never this prolonged attack in the past but please see the type of symptoms and the pattern of symptoms can change too with anxiety disorder, some patients may experience the same set & pattern of symptoms during each of their attacks but some may experience new type of symptoms or new patterns etc and this is what is happening in your case

While certain type of symptoms and their pattern are new to you but this is still very much suspicious for some benign issues like anxiety disorder rather than anything serious in nature.

If you have not undergone any investigations after this started then you may try to undergo investigations that may include a chest x ray, ekg, echocardiogram, and certain blood tests etc but I am very positive these tests will all come fine and it will be confirmed you are indeed not having any serious illnesses that is causing these recent symptoms.

Once again I reassure you, the symptoms you have been recently experiencing do not appear to be secondary to any of the serious illnesses you have mentioned above, you may get this investigated but it is essentially for your reassurances because when the tests all come fine you will feel reassured and relieved to know that these symptoms are certainly not secondary to any serious underlying heart illnesses or any other serious illnesses.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Neuro Doctor

Hi, do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know.

Best Regards!