Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Cardiology Expert
55099014

I am a 55 year old post menopause since 09. I am 223 lbs 5'8

Customer Question

I am a 55 year old post menopause since 09. I am 223 lbs 5'8 No past heart problems. Since October of 2015 about every 4 to 7 days I'm awakened with bouts of tachycardia from about 120 beats per minute to about 170 beats per minute I feel hot when I'm having them when the heat starts to dissipate my heart starts to calm down this takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes I don't get dizzy or shortness of breath I do feel anxious because it's alarming to wake up this way for no reason I am asking this question for a second opinion my current cardiologist doesn't know what this is I am going to have a chemical stress test on the 12th I am not taking any medications he really recently diagnosed me with atrial flutter can you tell me what you think this might be my gynecologist also tested me told me my blood levels and hormone everything was perfect cardiologists tested my blood work he said it looked really good gynecologist doesn't think it has anything to do with my hormones this is scaring me can you help me
JA: Are you experiencing any shortness of breath or chest pain? Is there a history of heart disease in your family?
Customer: I do suffer from many pvc and pacs
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: It also only happens at night time never during the day even during a nap it doesn't happen only in the middle of the night usually one to two hours after falling asleep
Category: Cardiology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

was thyroid tested?

did you wear a holter monitor?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I remember having this problem last time I came to this site that people will repeat questions that I already answered in my initial complaint about my physical problem. You asked me if I'm wearing a halter I wore 48 hour Holter It picked up atrial flutter I already stated I was having shortness of breath or dizziness during these episodes I do not have heart disease in my family I just can't get a decent answer and even from the cardiologists I'm working with as to what this could be I don't know what this is this sprung up all of a sudden.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not smoke or drink I am not on any medications I have very low stress I am sedentary I am obese but I just don't understand why this only happens at night out of a dead sleep what reasons could there be I am under a sleep study right now to rule out at me on my first test said that I did not go below 90% oxygen level but when I had a sleep oxygen at my own home it registered it as low as 87% my family members have told me I do snore loudly the doctor has told me it might go away if I lost all my weight but it still doesn't make sense to me

This makes sense

The atrial flutter is causing your symptoms

The rapid beat of atrial flutter is causing all of this

Was that not explained by your own doctors?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No the dr. Just shrug their shoulders because I don't have this during the day at all only in the middle of the night
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not having sob or dizziness wouldn't this hit me during the day too? Why do I feel hot when this is happening?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just remembered that the two-day halter the doctor did catch the tachycardia during the night he said it was tachycardia not atrial flutter and it was 150 beats per minute
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi are you going to answer the other two responses? Thanks

You might not notice it at night.

sometimes it causes surges of adrenaline that wake you up but you don't notice during the day

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Flutter episodes are 5 to 10 minutes ONLY at night. The cardiologist called it tachycardia is it still atrial flutter? Wouldn't he of said that? All I know is I want them to go away. Thank you

Yes, that is the same

a flutter causes tachycardia

They are definitely related

You can have an ablation done. This is where they insert a catheter to burn out the defective circuit

it is pretty effective for a flutter

Is this helpful?

Thanks for this question

Please don't forget a 5 star positive rating.

I appreciate it. :)
If you have more questions, just reply.