How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ravoof Your Own Question
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Category: Cardiology
Satisfied Customers: 4532
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Type Your Cardiology Question Here...
Dr. Ravoof is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have GAD and take prescribed Xanax when needed (.25). I

Customer Question

I have GAD and take prescribed Xanax when needed (.25). I have a tendency to get a pain or feeling that something is wrong and then I can't stop focusing on it. I research and research until I've determined that I am sick. I might be going through that right now but I still wanted an opinion. I have had a dry cough on and off for the last 3-4 days. That doesn't bother me too much but I do occasionally feel a slight burning sensation in my chest. About two days ago, I felt a little short of breath but I haven't noticed it since. I worry that it could be something more serious or heart related. If I have arm pain, that is where my mind goes immediately. I also have jaw pain but find a clench my teeth throughout the day. I'm wondering if my anxiety has gotten the best of me or if this is something I should ignore. I plan on seeing my doctor but he is not available until next week. If it was heart related, would I experience the same symptoms for days?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Cardiology
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To add to this, my hear rate is normal for me, around 80bpm and my bp when I was at the doctor last month was normal 120/80.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you fro your question.

For the GAD itself you would need to be on more effective medications such as daily selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) medications. In addition you need to consult a psychotherapist preferably a therapist who is experienced in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT). As far as worrying that things can go horribly wrong I would recommend the below linked book which shows you how deal with such thoughts in a better way.

Regarding your symptoms I do not see any red flag warning symptoms for any cardiac pathology. However an examination by a doctor as well as an electrocardiogram is recommended. If your doctor is not available you may go to the ER. However I am sure that this will turn out to be a false alarm and your anxiety is making you imagine the worse.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.