Cardiology

Cardiology Questions Answered by Verified Cardiologists.

Ask a Doctor,

Cardiology

Is this an arrhythmia?

Customer Question
Is this an arrhythmia ?...
Is this an arrhythmia ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cardiology
11/17/2016
Cardiologist: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Please tell details.

What are your symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry, I meant to include this: http://imgur.com/a/iKhpa . I am 28 years old and was using a single lead EKG that my friend's dad has. It's a simple single lead EKG that uses your hands on a metal surface to make the reading. Other than that, I have non-descript chest pain for about a year. I've had an echo, EKG, and event monitor, which have all came back normal. I still have the chest pressure throughout the day though. I just went to do the single lead when I was laying in bed and saw it made that rapid up/down line towards the end. Is that a possible arrhythmia or just artifact from a single lead?

Thanks for the reply.

That is definitely an artifact and poor quality EKG. 12 lead EKG is reliable and as that was normal nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you. I was a little nervous because I was trying to compare it to arrhythmias online and it kind of looked like Torsades de Pointes arryhthmia. Is it definitely not that?

Not at all. Relax.

Best wishes.

Please let me know if you have followup question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One of my friends in medical school looked at that link with the EKG and he said "oh this kind of looks like how atrial flutter shows on an EKG".

Not at all, this is not an atrial flutter. This is a poor quality EKG. The 12 lead EKG is normal. In atrial flutter your pulse would have been above 200 to 250 per minute.

Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can it be known that my pulse didn't go up during that period where the sawtooth pattern shows?

You would have shown symptoms if your pulse were that high. An atrial flutter is not without symptoms. This is not atrial flutter nor an arrhythmia. This is an artifact.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor